“Competing” open Head Coaching jobs

JacketFan137

Banned
Are we really behind Nebraska and Arizona State? Things are worse than I thought.
arizona state would be bad and that really doesn’t make sense to me anyway. we are likely better than them going forward.

nebraska is very far ahead of us. that is a very loyal and passionate fanbase that sells out every game. they can pay a lot

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
arizona state would be bad and that really doesn’t make sense to me anyway. we are likely better than them going forward.

nebraska is very far ahead of us. that is a very loyal and passionate fanbase that sells out every game. they can pay a lot
Agreed, although I think Nebraska's "sellouts" have been exposed as not really being sellouts and they end up donating a bunch of leftover tickets or something along those lines. Still a strong fanbase though

slugboy

Staff member
Nebraska isn't at Oklahoma levels of printing cash, but they're a top 20 revenue team, and land should be pretty cheap in Lincoln.

I don't believe we're behind Arizona State, and especially not Colorado.

We can end up coming out of this better than any of the teams in the coaching search. It's all about finding the right coach for OUR team.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Nebraska isn't at Oklahoma levels of printing cash, but they're a top 20 revenue team, and land should be pretty cheap in Lincoln.

I don't believe we're behind Arizona State, and especially not Colorado.

We can end up coming out of this better than any of the teams in the coaching search. It's all about finding the right coach for OUR team.

I don't think we'll be competing for the same coaches as ASU. They'll probably look for a more west coast guy.

mndojckt

Jolly Good Fellow
I think of the schools we’ll be competing for a coach with, only Auburn and Louisville will be better jobs. If we’re actually serious about spending more money then we could surpass Louisville.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
ASU and CU are just deadends in CFB. Maybe a good place to score a good Coaching salary and eventual buyout but thats it.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Nebraska and ASU only have optics challenges to overcome for recruiting. They don't have built in hurdles. ASU is really easy to get people to think about. Its a party school. Nebraska has the osbourne era. Truthfully i think Nebraska is going to make a play at Chadwell as well.

Word on the street is the Nebraska Admins and donors do not want an "option guy", and that's what Chadwell is viewed at...IMO, that's their loss and GT's gain (if Key doesn't work out).
Chadwell is much more than the option. That's also why they never went after Jeff Monken or Coach Ken at Navy when both had all that success. Nebraska was the heavy favorite to get Leipold...until Wisconsin fired Chryst. Everyone believes Wisconsin is Leipold's to turn down...unless Leonhard crushes it as the interim. There's been a groundswell growing for a few years about Leonhard taking over. Wisconsin kind of has the best of both worlds right now. They get to "try out" a candidate widely viewed as the "coach in waiting", all the while they also have the ability to get Leipold if Leonhard doesn't hit a home run.

There will always be a surprise during the offseason (Brian Kelly leaving ND to go to LSU, Jimbo going to TAMU, Chip Kelly going to the NFL, etc) that creates all kinds of chaotic dominos, but as of right now, Wisconsin is easily the best job available and they probably are sitting pretty with the options available to them.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Are we really behind Nebraska and Arizona State? Things are worse than I thought.
Nebraska, yes. They have more money, a much bigger fan base, and play in the richest conference. Arizona St is closer. They pay a bit more, have had a decent team in recent years, and have a bit better attendance. On the flip side, we should always have a recruiting edge over them. If our program was in a better state then we might have the edge.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
If you think the GT brand is tied to Atlanta, you really aren't paying attention. This one area that if Collins had won, he may have made some headway. But being one of the worst teams in FBS while your arch rival is celebrating their Natty with your hometown's baseball team's World Championship is not tying your brand to your city. The new AD needs to put some dollars into driving FB and BB recruiting of this area. Pastner needs to start ingratiating him self with the locals. Way too much talent is going to places like Louisville, Purdue and Auburn much less the big three of Clemson, Bama and ugag.

I went to Publix the other day, the one right next to the Tech campus on Spring. It's where all the Tech students go. And what do I see at the entrance? Halloween pumpkins branded with the most disgusting g. I thought surely they would have GT pumpkins mixed in there but nada. Sigh...

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I went to Publix the other day, the one right next to the Tech campus on Spring. It's where all the Tech students go. And what do I see at the entrance? Halloween pumpkins branded with the most disgusting g. I thought surely they would have GT pumpkins mixed in there but nada. Sigh...
It's likely they did and Tech students bought them all, leaving only the uga ones. The Publix near me has Tech ones.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Nebraska will spend money on a coach. There is FAR MORE institutional support there for football as well. There is no way we will be a better landing spot than them.
Nebraska has a pretty insane record for home game sell outs. Regardless of the success of the teams, their fans buy tickets and show up to games. It's pretty impressive.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Nebraska has a pretty insane record for home game sell outs. Regardless of the success of the teams, their fans buy tickets and show up to games. It's pretty impressive.
It is impressive, but they are the only game in the entire state. No pro teams or any other college teams to compete against. Also, I am guessing Lincoln is not full of fans from all of the other schools from the Big 12 and Big 10 like ATL has with SEC and ACC grads. Totally different context here. But still they are an impressive fan base. I loved watching the Oklahoma- Nebraska game as a kid around Thanksgiving.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Very true.

Of course, there are only 2 million people living in the state of Nebraska versus 5 million living in the 11 counties of metro Atlanta. It’s safe to assume there’s not as many entertainment options on a Fall day in southeast Nebraska as there are around Atlanta.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Very true.

Of course, there are only 2 million people living in the state of Nebraska versus 5 million living in the 11 counties of metro Atlanta. It’s safe to assume there’s not as many entertainment options on a Fall day in southeast Nebraska as there are around Atlanta.

Does context matter here? It might help us feel better about the 25-30k fans showing up to GT games but the recruits that play in front of a full house and the athletic budget making money off the willing masses cares not for context.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Does context matter here? It might help us feel better about the 25-30k fans showing up to GT games but the recruits that play in front of a full house and the athletic budget making money off the willing masses cares not for context.
I have a close relative that lives in Omaha so I’m somewhat familiar with that area and I’m very familiar with this area, of course. It seems to me that the Atlanta area would be much easier for attracting recruits and potential coaches.

slugboy

Staff member
I saw a stats analyst rank Wisconsin first, ASU second, us third, Nebraska fourth, and Colorado fifth.

Nebraska has high expectations, I guess. There are reasons pro and con each job, and how you weight them matters. Perceptions differ

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If I was ranking them it would go like this.

WI - way out in front
Neb.
GT/ASU - you can flip a coin on these 2, i'd give a slight edge to GT, but putting either at 3 is realistic. As another poster mentioned, I don't think there will be much overlap in these 2 teams coaches lists.
Col - way down.

IMO, Atlanta is somewhat overrated for GT. College football programs typically do not do that well in big cities. Also, all the talk about the fertile recruiting ground is a little overstated in GT's case. GT is not an SEC school and will never recruit like one. GT is never going to be the first choice for most of the kids in its recruiting areas (probably not the second or third choice either). When you have UGA, AL, and Clemson all within a couple of hours of you (not to mention Aub, FL, FSU, TN not that much farther) and your academic restrictions both in terms of who gets admitted and especially their choice of available majors creates a situation where GT is largely fighting for 4th and 5th choices.

If Auburn and L'ville open they will both be seen as better jobs than GT by most coaching candidates. Auburn due to being in the SEC and easy academic requirements. L'ville due to its athletic budget that is much larger than GT's (roughly $25MM per year more - L'ville has the richest basketball program in the country, they actually bring in more revenue through basketball than GT does through football - $40MM to $28MM ) and its easy academic requirements.

GT's primary plus is it is in a fertile recruiting location. Unfortunately that is undercut somewhat by not being a primary choice in that region and having among the most restrictive academics of any P5 school, especially in terms of majors. GT is also one of the smaller budget P5 schools in terms of both revenues and expenses (even within the ACC - 13th in CFB revenue and 9th in CFB spending). None of this means GT cannot have a winning program - Wake is 14th in CFB revenue and 13th in CFB spending among ACC schools - but it does mean you have to be smart and you really have to get the HC and staff hires correct to help offset where you are at a disadvantage in other areas.