GT Swarm Football & Recruiting Live Chat - April 6th, 2014

SwarmBot

Helluva Engineer
Apr 6, 2014 at 7:31 PM - Eric: Look forward to chatting tonight and hopefully answering some questions.
Apr 6, 2014 at 7:45 PM - motynes: You started chat yet?
Apr 6, 2014 at 7:53 PM - Longestday: anyone located in Houston Texas?
Apr 6, 2014 at 7:54 PM - motynes: Not me
Apr 6, 2014 at 7:54 PM - motynes: Hey Gtnavynuke are you a pilot?
Apr 6, 2014 at 7:58 PM - Body Massage Machine: Game of Thrones starts tpnight, just saying
Apr 6, 2014 at 7:59 PM - Body Massage Machine: tonight*
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:01 PM - Eric: starting it now...feel free to ask
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:01 PM - motynes: Any word on how Justin's passing game is progressing
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:01 PM - Eric: starting it now...feel free to ask
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:02 PM - motynes: Like is he getting better at reading the coversges
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:02 PM - motynes: Same questions about the option as well
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:03 PM - Body Massage Machine: In the few practices so far, has custis shown any gamechanging ability?
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:03 PM - Longestday: Recruiting in general appears to be improving... is this just a perception or is this a reality?
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:05 PM - scotts: Are there any 4* recruits that are seriously considering us?
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:06 PM - motynes: Give us the scoop on the Shannon books?
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:06 PM - motynes: Brooks situation
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:07 PM - scotts: Is Kallon getting any better?
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:07 PM - CuseJacket: fyi looks like Eric is having computer issues... he's not on the chat room list as of now... i'm sure he'll be back soon
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:08 PM - TampaGT: Who has improved the most since last season?
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:13 PM - Body Massage Machine: How has Henry looked at DE?
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:13 PM - Eric: Any word on how Justin's passing game is progressing...This is one of Justin's biggest issues. they are spending a lot of time in this area in the film room...it is a concern still.
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:14 PM - Eric: Same questions about the option as well...This hasnt really been a concern with JT. He seems like a natural in the option offense.
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:14 PM - SidewalkJacket: Great to hear about JTs option game
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:15 PM - Eric: In the few practices so far, has custis shown any gamechanging ability? ..The simple answer is yes. I will be very surprised if he doesnt have a great career here. He has shown a lot thus far...He is a big, physical kid. Who really excels between the tackles.
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:16 PM - Eric: Recruiting in general appears to be improving... is this just a perception or is this a reality?...This is a reality. We are hitting our top targets early on...have to give credit to the staff in this area. We have seen a lot of improvment here...hope to see us close better this year.
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:17 PM - Eric: Are there any 4* recruits that are seriously considering us?...yes we have some. Time will tell how serious things are and ratings go up and down...Will Bryan is a 4* kid. There is no way he shouldnt be.
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:17 PM - Longestday: Any freshmen you predict will play beyond special teams
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:18 PM - Body Massage Machine: Sorry for so many questions, just an avid fan. If I recall correctly, the coaches felt they had a great one in Commissiong. Do they still feel this way and will he get a lot of reps?
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:18 PM - Eric: Give us the scoop on the Shannon books?...He has a offer contingent on him showing improvements in the classroom and a good SAT or ACT score. They really like him and the interest is of course mutual. I would expect to see him a part of this class down the line.
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:18 PM - scotts: Thanks Eric
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:18 PM - Eric: Is Kallon getting any better?...He is getting better, but he has a long way to go.
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:19 PM - Longestday: Do you think Paul will recruit more OL than in the past (have more scholarship OL on the roster than in past)
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:19 PM - Eric: How has Henry looked at DE?..Very raw. I would not count on him much this season. He has the body for it though and has passion for the defense. I think he can be a guy that gets playing time in the future.
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:20 PM - OldJacketFan: Is anyone stepping up at SDE??
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:21 PM - Eric: Any freshmen you predict will play beyond special teams...Step Durham, Travis Custis, Kenderius Whitehead (not a Fr though), One of Austin twins if not both and my surprise will be Jake Stickler.
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:21 PM - TampaGT: How is Snoddy doing at A back?
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:22 PM - SidewalkJacket: How much is the staff counting on Whitehead to come in and make a big impact?
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:22 PM - TampaGT: Who do you think will be in the rotation at Aback
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:22 PM - Eric: If I recall correctly, the coaches felt they had a great one in Commissiong. Do they still feel this way and will he get a lot of reps?...Hey, thats what were hear for! Yes they love Commissiong and CPJ has praised him for off season work ethic and getting his body in better shape. They really like him. We have some decent depth at DT right now but I think he could be a starter in 2015.
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:23 PM - Eric: Is anyone stepping up at SDE??..Stargel is the leader by far.
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:23 PM - Eric: Do you think Paul will recruit more OL than in the past...Yes, we plan to take three this year. Which would make us have the most OL's on scholarship since I have been following GT.
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:24 PM - motynes: How is Hunt-Days looking at DE. Think he will stick there
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:25 PM - Eric: How is Snoddy doing at A back?..He really has been the most consistent A back so far. Days and Perkins have been out but he has had a good Spring so far.
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:25 PM - Body Massage Machine: Are Jeune an Messick going to earn a significant number reps? Do you feel good about our talent at WR?
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:25 PM - Eric: How much is the staff counting on Whitehead to come in and make a big impact?...A lot. They are teaching him as much as they can without him being on campus. He is a key piece in the 2014 season IMO.
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:26 PM - motynes: I'm hopeful Harrell will pick up where he left of when he was injured. What's your take on him and the MLB position?
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:27 PM - Longestday: Will Tre play this year?
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:27 PM - Eric: Who do you think will be in the rotation at Aback...Hill, Days as starters...Perkins. Then a fight between Bostic, Zenon, Snoddy and Andrews.
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:27 PM - Eric: How is Hunt-Days looking at DE...Havent heard much on that. I know the first week he was stuggling as expected. He is getting time at both DE and LB
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:28 PM - Eric: Are Jeune an Messick going to earn a significant number reps? Do you feel good about our talent at WR?...Well Jeune is out for the rest of the Spring. We have good talent at WR but the position is a mess with injuires right now...Smelter, Autry, Jeune are all hurt.
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:29 PM - motynes: What's wrong with Autry?
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:29 PM - Longestday: Hamstring....
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:30 PM - SidewalkJacket: Smelter?
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:30 PM - Body Massage Machine: Any other potential position changes that could happen?
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:31 PM - TampaGT: How does the overall depth look behind the starters. WHere are we strongest and weakest in terms of depth
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:31 PM - motynes: Hamstring is common after and acl surgery. I just had my 3rd acl in January
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:33 PM - Eric: I'm hopeful Harrell will pick up where he left of when he was injured. What's your take on him and the MLB position?...I love Harrell. He has a great fire and passion and earned the respect of his teammates and coaches in practice last year.
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:33 PM - Eric: Will Tre play this year?..He is third string right now. I dont expect him to.
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:34 PM - Eric: Smelter?..Ankle.
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:34 PM - Eric: Any other potential position changes that could happen?...Golden still could end up at CB. Kyle Travis is at DE now as well.
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:35 PM - Longestday: Spot you are most concerned about
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:35 PM - Eric: How does the overall depth look behind the starters. WHere are we strongest and weakest in terms of depth..I think we have good depth at A back, B back, OLB...Not much depth at CB and I really am concerned about T.
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:35 PM - Longestday: nevermind lol
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:35 PM - Eric: Spot you are most concerned about..haha just had typed that when you asked. Tackle by far.
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:36 PM - Body Massage Machine: Will chris griffin lock up a starting spot?
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:36 PM - motynes: We've heard a lot about Chris Griffin at tackle, is he not living up to the hype as of yet?
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:37 PM - TampaGT: If we lose a Tackle what would you think the shift along the Oline look like
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:37 PM - Eric: Will chris griffin lock up a starting spot?...I think so.
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:37 PM - Eric: e've heard a lot about Chris Griffin at tackle, is he not living up to the hype as of yet?..Chris is playing well. But he is about all we have at this point to be blunt.

SwarmBot

Helluva Engineer
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:38 PM - Eric: If we lose a Tackle what would you think the shift along the Oline look like...Depends on who we lost...but likely kickout Braun to T. and put Shamire as a start at G with mason.
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:38 PM - bcaff: Where is Shamire playing at?
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:38 PM - kg01: Will we unleash lynn griffin this year? Just a STer?
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:38 PM - Body Massage Machine: Maybe hard to answer, but who are our 1-8 guys?
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:39 PM - Eric: Where is Shamire playing at?...He is a Guard.
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:39 PM - Eric: Will we unleash lynn griffin this year? Just a STer?..He is a starter in the nickel right now. Should get a lot of time this year.
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:39 PM - motynes: Can we get Morgan Bailey to give it another shot?
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:40 PM - Eric: Maybe hard to answer, but who are our 1-8 guys?...Good question...Just a guess but I will say in 2014 it will be Thomas, Smelter, Mason, Gotsis, Nealy, I Johnson as our main playmakers.
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:40 PM - Eric: Can we get Morgan Bailey to give it another shot?..Morgan is done.
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:41 PM - motynes: I'm guessing Chamberlain is still having problems?
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:41 PM - bcaff: Who of the incoming freshman do you expect not to get redshirted?
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:42 PM - kg01: How are the CBs doing? Looking for big things from White
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:43 PM - Eric: Who of the incoming freshman do you expect not to get redshirted? Step Durham, Travis Custis, Kenderius Whitehead (not a Fr though), One of Austin twins if not both and my surprise will be Jake Stickler.
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:43 PM - Eric: I'm guessing Chamberlain is still having problems?..he hasnt been performing well to be honest.
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:44 PM - motynes: I know Autry is hurt but is expected to be ok from his two surgeries. Only person I've seen recently to come back from to acl surgeries is DT Shackleford from OM and it took him 3 years to get back
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:45 PM - Eric: How are the CBs doing? Looking for big things from White..White has been good and I have heard a lot of talk about Step Durham showing some flashes..Milton adjusting to the position still. He has the frame for it though.
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:45 PM - Eric: I know Autry is hurt but is expected to be ok from his two surgeries?..He is expected to but the only way to know is to find out. His injuries have been a concern.
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:50 PM - RamblinJack: Who do you think will be the next commit
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:51 PM - TampaGT: Of the early enroll guys has anybody been a disappointment?
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:51 PM - Eric: Who do you think will be the next commit...Safest best is probably Logan Hunt. Who is visiting for the Spring game.
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:52 PM - Eric: Of the early enroll guys has anybody been a disappointment?..They have only been here for two weeks so it still hard to tell yet...but the coaches seem happy with all the guys so far. Of course they are all in over their heads right now but they will learn.
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:55 PM - Goatman93: What happened to the varccian kid? He seemed to really like tech.
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:56 PM - motynes: So who is running with the first string and who is looking the best at WDE?
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:57 PM - motynes: Can you give us a depth chart as of now, mid-way thru spring?
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:58 PM - Eric: What happened to the varccian kid? He seemed to really like tech...He does like Tech a lot. I have to be careful what I post on the public forums as kids and parents read these forums and I dont want to hurt any feelings or cause issues with them and GT...but I will just say that offers this time of the year arent official. if you need anymore info just PM me.
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:58 PM - TampaGT: Who has the most work to do between now and this summer to keep their starting spot or gain a starting spot
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:58 PM - Goatman93: That's enough.
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:59 PM - Eric: So who is running with the first string and who is looking the best at WDE? Hunt Days and Henry have been getting the most time. Havent heard of a leader or one that is standing out so far.
Apr 6, 2014 at 9:00 PM - Eric: Can you give us a depth chart as of now, mid-way thru spring?..It would be a pure guess on my part. The coaches dont have a set one at this time as they are still having position battles and trying things out...really the depth chart from the start of the Spring hasnt changed in my mind.
Apr 6, 2014 at 9:01 PM - Eric: Who has the most work to do between now and this summer to keep their starting spot or gain a starting spot..great question....hmm, I think A backs job are up in the air and that Laskey and Custis are going to have a good battle. Hunt Days has to show something or he might not be in the starting lineup come opening game.
Apr 6, 2014 at 9:03 PM - motynes: How has tim Byerly looked and has he pushed justin any?
Apr 6, 2014 at 9:05 PM - Eric: Tim is Tim. You usually know what you are going to get out of him everyday. He is the clear number two at this time and was the best quaterback in the scrimmage last Saturday. So I could guess you could say he is pushing JT some but the job is still JT's
Apr 6, 2014 at 9:05 PM - motynes: Anything particular you are looking forward to from the spring game?
Apr 6, 2014 at 9:05 PM - bcaff: Do you expect Ty Griffin to change positions? If so when/where to?
Apr 6, 2014 at 9:06 PM - Goatman93: When will whitehead be able to participate?
Apr 6, 2014 at 9:07 PM - Eric: Anything particular you are looking forward to from the spring game?..Everything lol. I will spend a lot of my time on the OL and the QB/C exchange. I really want to see how the OL is performing and where we are at as a group..that position concerns me. I want to see all of the EE's as well...I also want to see the option look smooth again per say.
Apr 6, 2014 at 9:08 PM - Eric: Do you expect Ty Griffin to change positions? If so when/where to?...I do. But I am not sure where or when. He is the #3 QB this year and we plan to redshirt Jordan so we do need him at #3, I like him at DB but he could be an A back as well. I could see him getting some work in at A back and QB in practices this year.
Apr 6, 2014 at 9:09 PM - Eric: When will whitehead be able to participate? If he graduates and everything happens as expected then he will be here in Summer.
Apr 6, 2014 at 9:11 PM - Eric: I really appreciate the questions..feel free to ask anything you want.
Apr 6, 2014 at 9:12 PM - Eric: I have a good interview with Preddy to post sometime just a FYI.
Apr 6, 2014 at 9:13 PM - motynes: Hey thanks Eric.
Apr 6, 2014 at 9:13 PM - Eric: No problem, love talking Tech!
Apr 6, 2014 at 9:14 PM - motynes: It's really nice to have chats. The were very popular on the hive when I was in schools with GGarrett and masterB giving the info. They have been a think of the past so I really enjoy when u do them
Apr 6, 2014 at 9:16 PM - Eric: That is a great tool that we have access to here...I try to set them up when we can. I hope to do more of them during the recruiting season this year...it would be nice if we could have a schedule where we do them at certain times.
Apr 6, 2014 at 9:18 PM - bcaff: Which recruit are you most impressed with that has a realistic shot at coming to GT?
Apr 6, 2014 at 9:20 PM - Eric: Which recruit are you most impressed with that has a realistic shot at coming to GT?...if you cant tell I love Will Bryan and GT already has him on board...after that I like Nick Polino on the OL as well as Harrison Moon. Its hard for me to chose just one...If I had to though I think I would go with Mikell Lands Davis at RB.
Apr 6, 2014 at 9:22 PM - Eric: Some of the guys I really like are...Polino, Moon, Lands-Davis, Harlend Howell, Tyler Cooksey, Kyle Hendrson, Octavius Jackson, Michael Bennent, Rocky Reid, Anree Saint-Amour, Tommy Hatton, Rob Dowdy, Dareus Brown, Cam Stewart, David Long,
Apr 6, 2014 at 9:25 PM - Ggee87: Any Dlineman considering us? We really could use a few big uglies. i know they are few and far between, but we gotta find some.
Apr 6, 2014 at 9:30 PM - Eric: Kyle Henderson, Ken Allen, Michael Bennett, Dareus Brown, Anree Saint-Amour, Titus Davis, Gus Cumberlander, GG Robinson to name a few
Apr 6, 2014 at 9:37 PM - Ggee87: Good deal. Hope we can snag a few more Gotsis' to throw into the mix. I heard you say that you were worried about CB. For some reason I thought we were deep at DB.
Apr 6, 2014 at 9:48 PM - Eric: We are not deep at CB...We have White, Milton (just moved over), Durham (Fr) and you could count Griffin at S/
Apr 6, 2014 at 9:51 PM - Ggee87: I must have been grouping all the DBs as interchangeable. We may have to burn a few RS at the position this year. Im really stoked to see Step Durham perform in person
Apr 6, 2014 at 9:53 PM - Ggee87: Is this exclusively football or can we talk bball also?
Apr 6, 2014 at 9:59 PM - Ggee87: didnt realize how late it was. thank you for having these eric. maybe ill catch it next time
Apr 6, 2014 at 10:00 PM - Eric: Whatever you want, yes sir! have a good night.
Apr 6, 2014 at 10:06 PM - Longestday: If golden goes to CB who goes to safety?
Apr 6, 2014 at 10:26 PM - Eric: We have Corey Griffin, John Marvin, Noble and Demond who can all play S.
Apr 6, 2014 at 10:43 PM - D-man44: Who's your fav commit so far
Apr 6, 2014 at 11:06 PM - Eric: Will Bryan, one on if not my favorite recruits in the 2015 class.
Apr 6, 2014 at 11:10 PM - Josh Nesbitt 4 Heisman: Any good news or update on chaz cheeks?
Apr 6, 2014 at 11:22 PM - Eric: Status quo with Chaz.
Apr 7, 2014 at 12:33 AM - bumbee: how is custis doing so far?