Rotating personnel on DL - good, OL - not so much

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Recently, I've heard CPJ saying in the media how it's vital that we rotate guys on D, especially the DL. He even said CTR did a nice job of doing that last week at VT. Correct me if I'm wrong, but we don't seem to be doing the same thing on O, particularly the OL. Is it less important? Are depth cannot possible be worse than the DL depth. What gives?

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
Recently, I've heard CPJ saying in the media how it's vital that we rotate guys on D, especially the DL. He even said CTR did a nice job of doing that last week at VT. Correct me if I'm wrong, but we don't seem to be doing the same thing on O, particularly the OL. Is it less important? Are depth cannot possible be worse than the DL depth. What gives?
I am pretty sure we have rotated more on the OL than the DL to date this season.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think we've done a better job on both lines this year, but it's hard to keep track of.

mmbt0ne

Jolly Good Fellow
OL involves a lot more playing as a unit, whereas DL is a lot more individual play. Yes the DL still plays within a scheme, but it's built around individual players causing problems for the opponent.

Occasionally you may get an OL who can kick *** and take names. But even then a single Orlando Pace isn't going to turn a bad OL into a rush yardage machine, or a squad with 0 sacks.

On the other hand, any DC in the country takes a Clowney-esque DL and says "that guy with the ball, go get him"

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
Not that I know from experience, but I have always been under the impression that, as mmbtOne points out, frequent substituting on the OL is, in fact, disruptive to the flow of the offense. I always thought that you subbed DL for either fatigue or situations (e.g., goal line stand with game on line vs 2nd and 3 when up by 30).

I think that when there is a lot of subbing on the OL, its a sign that something is not right.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
rotation is ok provided the drop off isn't big...when its big you dont' see it as much...in spots...

on the DL, the starters are as mediocre as the backups...especially at end; the dropoff isn't really huge. So the rotating is almost not noticeable and since they are just ok players the benefit of fresh and giving it all you got is the only way to go. I mean lets face it, stargel was a starter, then not blah blah...they are all the same player

on the OL keeping fresh and getting playing time for the backups is big...the dropoff is probably a little more so you see less wholesale subs like you see on the DL....you will only see it one position or two.

if the DL starters were studs, like in 2008, i can guarantee you we would not sub much....and rarely subbed back then....

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow
The last couple things I have read about everyone that has been rotating on the d line, I havent seen Merriweathers name. I no he was playing earlier in the year, is he still in the rotation?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
speaking of O-linemen, can someone in the know comment on how Devine has looked and how much playing time he's getting?

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I recall CPJ used to mention that he always hopes to get O-line depth and quality to the point that he can "play two lines" which suggests to me that he may prefer hockey style "line changes" and thus it might be more likely to happen for an entire drive rather than more individual rotation of players on separate plays. Other than that I got nothing. I assume that Sewak makes the OL switches and CPJ has reasons to not demand noticeably more frequent substitutions.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
OL works together as a unit. The OG-C and the OG-OT relationships are important. Kind of like QB-BB or QB-WR. You want to know what the other guys is thinking and how he is going to react to a particular defense. You work as a tandem. eg STTE of "If the DT is lined up in a 3, we're going to double him and then you're (OT) comboing off to the LB. IF the DT is lined up in a 4i or 5, you've (OT) him yourself, and I'm (OG) climbing to the LB."

That's not the case on the DL. What you do as a DT isn't going to be contingent upon what the DE does.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I watched the re-play.
Kallon and gamble go lots of time-they need it.Travis was at DE.
E Joe subbed for Griffin some on OL..

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Overheard a snippet concerning OL rotation the other day. Sewak supposedly informed Fromayon he will be getting snaps on O. Previously most of his play was on STs. No idea if this actually plays out, is specific to just this player, or indicative in desire to rotate more across the line.