Article Georgia Tech's Strong Second Half Takes Care of Terriers

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
[float_left]
justin_thomas_georgia_tech_thumb.jpg
[figcap]Justin Thomas #5 QB reads the defense then signals a play change[/figcap][/float_left]
ATLANTA, GA - Sparked by a strong second half from Justin Thomas and DeAndre Smelter the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (1-0) pulled away late for a 38-19 victory over the Wofford Terriers Saturday afternoon. "It was a game of two halves," said Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson. "I was happy to see Justin, after the first half, settle down and hit some big plays in the passing game".

Thomas, who was a perfect 8 for 8 passing in the 2nd half, threw two touchdown passes to Smelter on back-to-back possessions to give the Yellow Jackets a 24-12 lead late in the 3rd quarter. Following a touchdown drive by Wofford to cut the lead to 24-19 early in the fourth quarter, Thomas led Georgia Tech back downfield for a touchdown less than two minutes later, a drive highlighted by a 65-yard pitch to Broderick Snoddy that was deemed a forward pass. One play later Zach Laskey punched it in for an 11-yard dive to the endzone.

Smelter posted a career-best 132 yards receiving, including a career-long 71-yard touchdown reception in the 3rd quarter from Thomas. "It was just a streak route and I wanted to make a play," said Smelter. "I saw I was near the sideline and just didn't want to go down".

Thomas is the first player to record more than 300 yards of total offense for Georgia Tech since 2011 when Tevin Washington accomplished the feat against Duke. "I just wanted to go out and play hard today," Thomas said. "I think my reads got better throughout the game. In the first half I missed some reads and had some overthrows. In the second half I just calmed down, got my throws down, and we were more productive".

Other news and notes:
  • Both Georgia Tech and Wofford committed zero turnovers today
  • It was the first game back for safeties Jamal Golden and Isaiah Johnson after spending most, if not all, of last season on the sideline due to injuries. Johnson left the game in the 2nd half with an undisclosed injury and did not return.
  • Several true freshmen saw the field today including Terrell Lewis (LB), Shaun Kagawa (DB), Lance Austin (DB), Lawrence Austin (DB), Step Durham (DB), Tyler Merriweather (DE), and KeShun Freeman (DE)
  • The 92-yard touchdown run by Wofford's Ray Smith was the longest rushing attempt for an opponent in Georgia Tech's history
  • Synjyn Days played solely at B-Back and had 5 carries for 23 yards and a touchdown

Last edited by a moderator:

NotFrench

Georgia Tech Fan
I thought Smelter looked like a really special player on Saturday. That catch on the sideline where he wrestled away from the defender was pure strength and athleticism. I did not take this game as a negative sign at all, but then again, I was half delirious from booze and the heat.