Friends, let's talk about our Football Coach

GPD

Jolly Good Fellow
First, I have never been against Coach Johnson. I wasn't against his hiring and I've never been against him being our coach... but something has changed for me this year.

I now find myself pro-actively pulling for our Coach and having that feeling of "ownership" and "pride" in Paul Johnson as our coach and the leader of our football program. Right or wrong, this has just recently occurred for me.

As I said, I've never been against him, it has been mostly indifference...now that has changed.

Folks have been saying all along that we should give him time to fully implement his system and put his stamp on the entire program. Well he has been given the time and has, in fact, made his mark..... And I like it..... He has demonstrated to me his commitment to Tech and has demonstrated his competence in leading our program to a higher level.

I want a 5th NC and I believe he can and will take us there... I sincerely believe that.

Don't know what changed... I've never met the man except at an away game when he stopped in the hotel lobby for a quick picture with my daughter, but now I feel like I understand him more...and it's good.

Maybe because he's been a little more open with the media, allowing us to "know" him more.... maybe it's the way our Players conduct themselves, and in my professional experience I know that a team will always, on the whole, reflect their leader of their organization..... Maybe it's because after every game I never feel like my team got out coached, even if at times, out manned in a particular game.... Maybe it's my observation of his willingness to address areas of weakness decisively.....Maybe it's because during any game I find myself hopeful, because my coach just might outsmart the other coach during the game, even if we "may" be out manned that particular day.

All in all, I'm not sure exactly what it is, but I now find myself a "fan" and supporter of Coach Johnson and trust him fully to lead our football program to it's highest potential.

I hope he is our Coach for as long as he is motivated and committed to us....

These are words and thoughts regarding Coach and our program.... I am not a big time money guy for the program, but I am a steady giver... I am going to increase my level of giving a bit to back up my words as well.

Has anyone else had similar thoughts? Or perhaps thoughts in a different direction?

johncu

Jolly Good Fellow
I've felt like this since 2009, although the last couple years I was worried that mediocre early recruiting and some bad breaks might do him in. I am fully re-energized in my confidence, though. We will always be a good team with Paul Johnson as coach, and if we can add a few playmakers and figure out the defense, we will be a GREAT team.

On top of all of that, he runs a tight ship that is easy to be proud of. Kids work hard and are successful on and off the field or they GTFO and make room for someone who will.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I liked the hire and the system he runs. It is a system that gives us a numbers advantage when executed correctly. The debate will rage on about whether or not we can get better talent with another system, but I think we are headed in the right direction. We are recruiting players that we need now which is much better than where we were 3 years ago.

Defensively I was against the Roof hire, but I ate my words last year. We will have a good D when we get a little more experienced, and a little more depth.

Last year after the VT game I was thinking it may be time for a change. It wasn't a system thing for me, it was an execution thing. All the false starts and penalties rubbed me the wrong way. I like the direction we are headed in now. Most teams in college football would like to have our numbers. I am not sure any offense is putting up better numbers as a whole than ours.

One thing to think about. Our staff as a whole is one lowest paid of D1. I think we are getting more than what we are paying for.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I have always wanted him to succeed. As I have all our coaches. Definitely see something a little different this year. Who knows, it just may be the difference of having JT this year. I try not base decisions off one or two games but I feel like this program finally has some upside under CPJ. I have been skeptical of that at times. Again I am rooting for him to succeed and coach here for a long time. (Partly for selfish reasons - I would like to see if coaching stability can do for GT what it did for VT. Beamer, after a very sluggish start, put that program on the map despite what is going on there this year.)

Matt E

GT Athlete
I was very skeptical heading into the season but must admit CPJ has convinced me he is the right guy for the job. This team has played hard all season and you can tell that they are 100% bought into his system . That speaks to his leadsership given that the last couple years haven't been as good as his first couple. With Vad leaving it would have been very easy to see a fractured locker room. That hasn't happened.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Speaking of being outmanned, I'd wager half the teams we've beaten had us outmanned and yet we still won. One of our losses was to Duke, which we probably outman or are maybe even with, but the other was to UNC which definitely outmans us. That's doing what he was hired to do: win the games you're supposed to and some of the ones you're not supposed to.

GPD

Jolly Good Fellow
Seems like recruiting is the common theme for all of us.... when we consistently recruit as we have this year, especially on defense, I don't have any question about Coach Johnson's ability to hire good coaches and execute a game plan. Even more confident with the coaches making in-game and halftime adjustments.

It's all about having a sufficient number of top athletes, including reasonable depth, to win some championships, seem to be headed that direction.

Russellm0704

Georgia Tech Fan
It is a lot easier to like a coach when we are 7-2. Remember we have not played against our 2 toughest opponents yet. However, I agree that Johnson is slowly winning back my support. I was probably too quick to jump on the fire CPJ train after the 7-7 season. He has also shown a slightly more positive attitude this year which really makes him more likable. He is still PJ and is still sarcastic and witty, but he just seems better with the media.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
Contrast this with what the no-class Maryland Twerps did against Penn State yesterday. In case you missed it, the MD captains refused to shake hands with the PSU captains after the coin flip. It was a shocking display of poor sportsmanship.

I'm proud of our players, our coaches - our history and tradition. CPJ belongs here and has earned the right to stay here.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Contrast this with what the no-class Maryland Twerps did against Penn State yesterday. In case you missed it, the MD captains refused to shake hands with the PSU captains after the coin flip. It was a shocking display of poor sportsmanship.

I'm proud of our players, our coaches - our history and tradition. CPJ belongs here and has earned the right to stay here.
I was very impressed with CPJ & our players after the game. They were all shaking hands with UVA players. Sportsmanship personified.

GPD

Jolly Good Fellow
I was very skeptical heading into the season but must admit CPJ has convinced me he is the right guy for the job. This team has played hard all season and you can tell that they are 100% bought into his system . That speaks to his leadsership given that the last couple years haven't been as good as his first couple. With Vad leaving it would have been very easy to see a fractured locker room. That hasn't happened.
That's a great point Matt... Hadn't really thought about that. The cohesiveness of the locker room surely speaks to respect of the coaching staff and the character of the men on our team.

I think we are doubly blessed to have Derrick Moore in our program... I know he's not a coach per se but he is vitally important the development of our kids, and subsequently the success of our program.

Coach seems to be very consistent and decisive with his policies and the enforcement of those policies. The unfortunate series of events with the Autry brothers was disappointing for all of us and the young men themselves... but he handled that equitably and respectfully. I take note of the way both of our Days brothers (and parents) have handled JHD's challenge this year.. all class, all the way.

Then yesterday, Golden, clearly one of the leaders of our team, doesn't start. Yet he comes right in and makes several huge plays. Interviewed after game, was asked about not starting.. "No sir, I'm a team player, I'm in there to make plays when it's my time, didn't bother me at all".... friends, that kind of response is almost unheard of... I have sent many 30 year old executives to high dollar, professional training to learn how to respond to the media like that... incredible.

We are blessed in so many ways to have the athletes we have representing our program... as I said earlier, they have made me a grateful and humble fan and supporter.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
That was a very telling comment about how this year's team is truly a team!

There could be times where we struggle again and possibly have more L's than W's...its at that time we need to remember these thoughts.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
if we bring home the W this week, don't be surprised if we announce his extension before Clemson game. That is a huge recruiting weekend and 8-2 will seal the deal on contract.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
This yr is a pleasant surprise to me esp beating vt and uM.This game was a statement on fball excellence in all phases even the def,which is a nice surprise.
On a day when uga plants a t--- ,Tech again keeps up the fairly even effort.
We may fall apart here at end but my guess is the opponents will all be tested severely.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thanks for the original post, but I have to say, these kind of things just seem to float with whatever the results of the last couple of games have been. We won the last two so people are happy. As Jeff said, two weeks ago all we could talk about was "should CPJ be offered an extension?" I know this sounds very "coach-ish", but we need to focus on the games at hand and worry about our coaching situation in the off season. Emotions run so high in this sport it is almost impossible to have a rational discussion on the topic mid-season.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I am VERY impressed with this offense. Given the last couple of years, I will admit I was having my doubts about CPJ's commitment to the passing game, and I am a FIRM believer that we need to be able to pass effectively for this offense to truly work. And this year, we are definitely passing effectively! The O Line has really impressed me also, after being a real weak point, and now appears to have both quality AND depth, something I am not sure I have ever seen at GT. I do worry about replacing our WR's next year, but that is ALL I worry about on offense.

Now defense, imho, simply needs better athletes. I am not sure you can scheme you way to victory on D the way you (sorta) can on O. If we recruit well, and develop an above average D, we should be in for some interesting years on the Flats.

But football is fickle. As long as I can remember, GT always seems to do well when we are not expected to, and poorly when hopes and expectations are high. What does it all prove? That 18-21 year old young men are awfully hard to predict, is I think what it means....but I dunno.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks for the original post, but I have to say, these kind of things just seem to float with whatever the results of the last couple of games have been. We won the last two so people are happy. As Jeff said, two weeks ago all we could talk about was "should CPJ be offered an extension?" I know this sounds very "coach-ish", but we need to focus on the games at hand and worry about our coaching situation in the off season. Emotions run so high in this sport it is almost impossible to have a rational discussion on the topic mid-season.

This. Let's just suppose that we beat NC State but end up losing to Clemson, UGA and the bowl game. I will wager that at 8-5 with 3 losses to end the season, things won't be quite so rosy on this board or any of the other boards, for that matter.

Let the season play out and make long term decisions at the end of the season.

Spandex

Georgia Tech Fan
Seems like recruiting is the common theme for all of us.... when we consistently recruit as we have this year, especially on defense, I don't have any question about Coach Johnson's ability to hire good coaches and execute a game plan. Even more confident with the coaches making in-game and halftime adjustments.

It's all about having a sufficient number of top athletes, including reasonable depth, to win some championships, seem to be headed that direction.
Recruiting has always been my issue with CPJ. Hopefully the recruiting class will be as good as advertised, and I will jump off the fence for good. I've never doubted his prowess, and I thoroughly enjoy our offense.

BTW, is it just me, or do the Clemson and UGa games seem a lot less daunting than they did even three weeks ago?