Film Study - Offense vs UNC

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wow, was this a joy to watch. Keep in mind, I only looked at the offensive series this time around. Looking a those alone, you would think we won this game by 30 points. We were that dominant. In fact, I would say it is the most dominant I have seen the offense against an ACC team, even more so than the CUSE 56 -0 drubbing, or the UNC game 2 years ago.

UNC tried to take a page from MIA play book on D, and some from VT as well. They failed miserably. Like us they are having some trouble at the point of attack getting off blocks. It seems everybody on the defense wanted to make sure that they had a part in stopping the dive. That left the edge wide open. UNC tried to run some stuff, but do be truthful, they made a lot of mistakes out there that DUKE didn't. Very often you would find both the DE and the LB who should be scraping taking the dive, leaving the outside wide open. They are plenty athletic enough, but they are wildly undisciplined compared to other teams we have faced. In truth, they reminded me of FSU in that way. They managed to blow up a couple plays with an A gap blitz and they tried something I have never seen done (doesn't mean it hasn't happened). They ran this funny stunt that actually worked the first time where the play side DT backed up and ran outside the DE to take the QB while the DE crashed down.

We played well on offense and they gave us some help. They were out of position, chasing all night. If I had to characterize it, we saw a combination of a B+ game on O by GT and a D+ game on D by them. They won't like the film session, other than the fact that their option duty is over for the year.

I don't have time to go into too much tonight, but I will close with this. JT is getting real comfortable right now. His quality of his reads and his riding of the MESH combined with the speed of execution is just better than we have seen yet. It was such a pleasure to see the sheer number of true option run plays, where we actually GET the 2 man advantage by good execution. It just puts so much pressure on the D. JT is really hard to read by the defense. Their safeties had no impact on the game. They were totally taken out of position trying to run support. It was comical watching them try but not knowing where to go. Play action KILLED them in the pass game. That is how it is supposed to work. We gash them with the run and throw on OUR terms (or reverse it) after they are over committed. They get so shallow that they have to turn and chase so hard they can't possibly get their head around, even if they do manage to stay in shouting distance.

We are running EVERYTHING as far as I can tell. There might be a couple situational called dives being run, but this is not the FAKE option team of 2013. Good things lie ahead on this side of the ball.

Big Philly

Jolly Good Fellow
We are running EVERYTHING as far as I can tell. There might be a couple situational called dives being run, but this is not the FAKE option team of 2013. Good things lie ahead on this side of the ball.

Not many called dives at all, but when called they are very effective. We get an extra little advantage when a player who is expecting to be unblocked in the option gets blasted, Fromayan? mauls Gnonkonde on Laskey's second TD:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Boomer, thanks for making me feel good and hopeful about the rest of the season watching reruns of the shoot out at OK Coral.

How did Days look rushing and blocking? 3 rushes for 25 yards. On the year (only 16 carries) Days is averaging 5.56 yards per rush. (He doesn't have any pass receptions like Laskey .....)

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Not many called dives at all, but when called they are very effective. We get an extra little advantage when a player who is expecting to be unblocked in the option gets blasted, Fromayan? mauls Gnonkonde on Laskey's second TD:

GREAT block by Fromayan, 79, on that play. Boomer, this was our first look at him, right? What do you think? How would you assess him?

Also, fwiw, this was a very good run by Laskey. He might not have game-breaking speed, but he works hard for every yard. I think we will miss him this week, but if the O-line is opening holes like this, we should still be good.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
For all you guys who say Laskey can't make a guy miss in space or has no moves, watch what he does to the unblocked safety who has him dead to rights at the 5.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Love that clip. Shaq Mason destroys that guy.
Devine does a good job of getting his first scoop step down before the 1-Tech DT can react well - Burden gives him a chip and all of a sudden Devine is on him. Devine's always going to have a little bit of a problem getting lower than a defender, but he can somewhat offset this by being quicker off the ball than the defender.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@Boomergump I know the offense did well, but did you see the missed blocks by the A backs on the edge? I think the CB "charge" block by the A backs is one of the hardest blocks.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Starting to see a lot of Fromayan. He's looking like a fantastic transfer for us.

If Griffin can get back into form, and Chamberlain keeps up his form, our tackle spots could actually match our strength in the G-C-G spots.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Just want to reiterate what Boomer is saying RE: JT. Pitching the ball is starting to become second nature to him. There were a lot of times he "felt" the pitch with a defender in his face without the pitch man rounding into his sight of vision...and it turned into big plays. A few times I thought the pitch guy was way too close and JT should have ate it...but it was a great read.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Starting to see a lot of Fromayan. He's looking like a fantastic transfer for us.

If Griffin can get back into form, and Chamberlain keeps up his form, our tackle spots could actually match our strength in the G-C-G spots.
And we'll get Klock in the mix next year!

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Wow, was this a joy to watch. Keep in mind, I only looked at the offensive series this time around. Looking a those alone, you would think we won this game by 30 points. We were that dominant. In fact, I would say it is the most dominant I have seen the offense against an ACC team, even more so than the CUSE 56 -0 drubbing, or the UNC game 2 years ago.

UNC tried to take a page from MIA play book on D, and some from VT as well. They failed miserably. Like us they are having some trouble at the point of attack getting off blocks. It seems everybody on the defense wanted to make sure that they had a part in stopping the dive. That left the edge wide open. UNC tried to run some stuff, but do be truthful, they made a lot of mistakes out there that DUKE didn't. Very often you would find both the DE and the LB who should be scraping taking the dive, leaving the outside wide open. They are plenty athletic enough, but they are wildly undisciplined compared to other teams we have faced. In truth, they reminded me of FSU in that way. They managed to blow up a couple plays with an A gap blitz and they tried something I have never seen done (doesn't mean it hasn't happened). They ran this funny stunt that actually worked the first time where the play side DT backed up and ran outside the DE to take the QB while the DE crashed down.

We played well on offense and they gave us some help. They were out of position, chasing all night. If I had to characterize it, we saw a combination of a B+ game on O by GT and a D+ game on D by them. They won't like the film session, other than the fact that their option duty is over for the year.

I don't have time to go into too much tonight, but I will close with this. JT is getting real comfortable right now. His quality of his reads and his riding of the MESH combined with the speed of execution is just better than we have seen yet. It was such a pleasure to see the sheer number of true option run plays, where we actually GET the 2 man advantage by good execution. It just puts so much pressure on the D. JT is really hard to read by the defense. Their safeties had no impact on the game. They were totally taken out of position trying to run support. It was comical watching them try but not knowing where to go. Play action KILLED them in the pass game. That is how it is supposed to work. We gash them with the run and throw on OUR terms (or reverse it) after they are over committed. They get so shallow that they have to turn and chase so hard they can't possibly get their head around, even if they do manage to stay in shouting distance.

I've just finished watching my recording of the game. Didn't watch it live. Do you, or does anyone else, know if some of our TO plays are designed to fake the dive up the middle with the intention of going outside with the option? I say this because JT either misread the "mesh" with Lackey or else it was a designed fake.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Boomer, thanks for making me feel good and hopeful about the rest of the season watching reruns of the shoot out at OK Coral.

How did Days look rushing and blocking? 3 rushes for 25 yards. On the year (only 16 carries) Days is averaging 5.56 yards per rush. (He doesn't have any pass receptions like Laskey .....)
I think Days looks good. To be truthful, I think we are all going to be really impressed when he gets a lot of carries and establishes some rhythm out there.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is no
GREAT block by Fromayan, 79, on that play. Boomer, this was our first look at him, right? What do you think? How would you assess him?

Also, fwiw, this was a very good run by Laskey. He might not have game-breaking speed, but he works hard for every yard. I think we will miss him this week, but if the O-line is opening holes like this, we should still be good.
This is not the first look. He was out there last week. He doesn't bowl me over. Personally, I don't feel there is a big difference between Chamberlain, Joe, or Fromayan. He made some good blocks and looked soft on some others. It was a mixed bag. I think he can block well when he knows who he is going after, but sometimes he looks hesitant.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Fromayon is still very new to this offense...so i'm not surprised he is hesitant at times still. I think his strength may be in pass blocking also at the moment.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This is no

This is not the first look. He was out there last week. He doesn't bowl me over. Personally, I don't feel there is a big difference between Chamberlain, Joe, or Fromayan. He made some good blocks and looked soft on some others. It was a mixed bag. I think he can block well when he knows who he is going after, but sometimes he looks hesitant.
The Klock is ticking at OT.