ESPN's Power Rankings are Terribad

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if most GT fans are more concerned with perception than reality? We are currently undefeated, it feels pretty good to me. I don't give a hang what the rest of the college football world thinks. Actually, I love being under the national radar. We typically under-perform when we're on it.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/fpi?id=59&year=2014
Here are their "odds" of a W for each game.

Of note:
  • They expect us to win against Miami and Duke, who are ranked above us.
  • They expect us to lose against UNC, who is ranked below us.
  • Pitt is consistent. Expected to beat us and ranked above us.
  • They expect us to win against UVA, who is ranked above us.
  • They are consistent in the last three. They expect us to lose against NC State, Clempson, & uGA, who are all ranked above us.
So, in the 8 remaining regular season games, the FPI rank only agrees with their odds in 4 of the games... Terribad.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
smh, our statistics are "terribad," if I'm using that word correctly. The FPI is statistics-based calculation.

When your defense is #73 in yds/game, #108 yards/play, and #117 in opponent 3rd down conversion, it's gonna be hard for computer's to respect your team. When you combine those rankings with a relatively weak strength of schedule, it's next to impossible.

The ACC Power Rankings seem to be a vote of the ESPN beat writers, not a different computer model, iiuc,

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
Of note:
  • They expect us to win against Miami and Duke, who are ranked above us.
  • They expect us to lose against UNC, who is ranked below us.
  • They expect us to win against UVA, who is ranked above us.

• Sounds like the ratings are fairly close and home-field advantage has decided the predictions for these games.

I would have trouble saying FPI thinks we will lose/win when the odds it gives are so close to 50-50. I would say FPI is saying it has no guess about this game.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
2-loss Hokies ahead of undefeated Tech who just beat them in their house lol.

Oh, I can hear the spin now, "No, see our rankings are based on what we think would happen if the teams met on a neutral field. Yeah, yeah, that's it. I can see how the Jackets road victory would confuse non-experts like you people." :rolleyes: