CPJ Press Conference

TomOReilly

Jolly Good Fellow
I am going out on a limb and saying our D does not run the a base 4-2-5. We need more meat to stop the power run attack of Pitt. Trying to think what it will be but a 4-3 may not even be enough.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Agree 100%. Someone needs to give Ken some confidence lessons.
I think it is why CPJ seems to have the least patience with Ken despite his doing such a good job as a Tech beat writer. Ken asks questions in the passive voice or elliptically because he thinks it will allow for the respondent to kind of run with it. But CPJ clearly just wants directness in questions, he doesn't like to "take the bait" often and just opine. When he does opine it is usually really interesting though. Ken probably needs to just write his questions down before the media sessions and read them off.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
CPJ: "We need to be more creative in how we bring pressure."
"You have to bring enough guys to get pressure... if 4 ain't getting pressure, bring 5, if 5 ain't gettin' it, bring 6, if 6 ain't gettin' it, bring 7"

Why is it taking to game 8 and two losses to start this discussion on his end. He needs to push roof and his scheme more to me.

Squint

Georgia Tech Fan
At least someone is asking questions. In years past it seems there were long pauses and crickets.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Agree 100%. Someone needs to give Ken some confidence lessons.
I agree too. He does this in interview after interview with CPJ and I actually think it annoys CPJ at little bit. Ask your damn question, man, don't mealy mouth hem and haw trying to ask whatever it is you are trying to ask. I think that puts people off who wonder what the hell are you really thinking that are having so much trouble phrasing it.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Why is it taking to game 8 and two losses to start this discussion on his end. He needs to push roof and his scheme more to me.

I'm hoping this isn't the first time he peeked out from the sidelines and realized the defense was costing us (them). Plus you know we don't need him going after the D too strongly. Whenever one unit appears to be heavily out-performing the other I imagine it's fairly easy to cause a rift in a team.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
If there is one thing we should have figured out by now it is that CPJ with every D coordinator expects and tries to let them completely run the unit. He makes sure that he is the public face and in charge of the program and points out that he listens in on the headset and will share his opinion so we end up thinking that he is also directly taking control of the D. But he really does try and let his D Coordinator run it. Remember how with both Wommack and Groh he would say "need to simplify" or "have to pick something and get good at it" repeatedly week to week? He was making it clear what he thought needed to be done to improve D but then game would come around and I didn't see those changes implemented. That was a clue that he didn't mind sending a message to the D coordinator in press conferences but he was not actually trying to micro-manage and make the decision for the Coordinator.

Since the preseason and every week he has stressed the idea of getting pressure and sending as many as it takes if you need that pressure. This is his refrain for what he thinks the D needs this year similar to years past where it was "simplify." However, I think in this presser in his answers he also was showing how elaborate the issues are for the D and so I don't get the sense that his "bring as many as it takes" is as big a warning message to Roof as many of his statements were in years past clearly messages to Wommack or Groh to make some changes.