Conference Realignment

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It is also annoying, if one likes logical arguments, to state an abstract principle but not have the facts on the ground fit the principle. Committed to academics? Joining the B1G does not violate that principle in the least but having Louisville join the ACC probably does.

I would have liked a better explanation from Peterson because the one he gave left me with more questions.

Peterson also underestimated GT's (more specifically, Atlanta's) leverage. This is something I wrote in an earlier discussion: Atlanta is the single biggest Southern market (if you don't include Florida as a whole as a market). If GT would have left, and given the value of linear TV rights and TV markets at the time, the ACC would have been in a WORLD of hurt. It would have been a masterstroke by B1G's Jim Delany because it would have probably forced UNC and UVA (Both were tier 1 targets for the B1G) to move to the B1G as well because losing the GT/Atlanta market would have severely hurt the ACC's media value.

There was a LOT of pressure from the Carolina Mafia to keep GT in the ACC.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
B1G reached out to UTexas a while back. I believe around the same time B1G reached out to GT. UTexas obviously declined (as did GT :cautious: 🤷‍♂️).

TAMU is a top 20 public school, with a top 15 engineering school, and they are AAU. In terms of sports, they would automatically vault up near the top, if not the top, of the B1G in terms of revenue and donor money. They have not been happy with the SEC since Texas was announced as a new member as, according to them, TAMU would be the only school from Texas the SEC would invite.

IMO, either one would be a coup for the B1G.
A&M ranks CONSIDERABLY higher in the irrational cult department than UT in all the ways that fit wonderfully in the SEC. The Aggies would be a wonderful SEC fit if they didn’t keep letting their UT inferiority complex dominate their brains.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Same money, more academic prestige, easier path to playoffs, and less of a cannibalistic environment that occurs in the SEC...oh, and they can get away from UTexas like they thought they did when they went to the SEC.
Would actually be a little more money I think? Isn't the SEC supposed to be getting ~80m/team and the BIG getting $90-100m/team?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Back then, I think the travel distance was a huge negative, and our fans probably would’ve complained a lot about not being able to go to away games. With exponential revenue growth the travel concerns dissipated, but it was a big deal at the time.
Indeed. The picture then didn't have the sharp focus it has now, and the question wasn't the no brainer it is today. Regionality carried far more importance than it does currently.

slugboy

Staff member
Indeed. The picture then didn't have the sharp focus it has now, and the question wasn't the no brainer it is today. Regionality carried far more importance than it does currently.
It seemed like a no-brainer back then. More often than not fans were talking about full stadiums to watch us match up against Michigan rather than Duke.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
It seemed like a no-brainer back then. More often than not fans were talking about full stadiums to watch us match up against Michigan rather than Duke.
Agree… there were plenty of really compelling reasons to leave. Most thought there HAD to be more to it than we realized when it didn’t happen.
The decision not to go gave legs to the notion that the invitation never actually existed.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
My wife and I attended the 2012 ACC Championship game against FSU. The talk about GT going to the B1G was really a hot topic on Friday before the game on Saturday. I remember getting up early on Sunday morning after the game to find a Charlotte paper to see if there was any final news. I really didn't hear anything until we returned home on Sunday afternoon. On the way, I stopped in Atlanta and picked up a paper (AJC) which had the attached article. The talk about the instability of the ACC was already circulating in the Media. So, I was disappointed that we did not make the move.

As far as the denial, I think one phrase may reveal something. When you say, "We are staying in the ACC", does that not imply there was an option?

Regardless, maybe we will get another opportunity if the ACC disintegrates. I am pretty sure Michigan, OSU, PENN State, Nebraska and others will be happy to visit Bobby Dodd Stadium and recruit local football talent.

Attachments

• Big 10 Denial 12-2-2012 (2).pdf
    365.3 KB · Views: 2

CEB

Helluva Engineer
My wife and I attended the 2012 ACC Championship game against FSU. The talk about GT going to the B1G was really a hot topic on Friday before the game on Saturday. I remember getting up early on Sunday morning after the game to find a Charlotte paper to see if there was any final news. I really didn't hear anything until we returned home on Sunday afternoon. On the way, I stopped in Atlanta and picked up a paper (AJC) which had the attached article. The talk about the instability of the ACC was already circulating in the Media. So, I was disappointed that we did not make the move.

As far as the denial, I think one phrase may reveal something. When you say, "We are staying in the ACC", does that not imply there was an option?

Regardless, maybe we will get another opportunity if the ACC disintegrates. I am pretty sure Michigan, OSU, PENN State, Nebraska and others will be happy to visit Bobby Dodd Stadium and recruit local football talent.

Lots of disturbing events in that article…
Our fans doing the gator chomp was the rotten cherry on top of that sh** sundae. What the heck? Why people?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Peterson also underestimated GT's (more specifically, Atlanta's) leverage. This is something I wrote in an earlier discussion: Atlanta is the single biggest Southern market (if you don't include Florida as a whole as a market). If GT would have left, and given the value of linear TV rights and TV markets at the time, the ACC would have been in a WORLD of hurt. It would have been a masterstroke by B1G's Jim Delany because it would have probably forced UNC and UVA (Both were tier 1 targets for the B1G) to move to the B1G as well because losing the GT/Atlanta market would have severely hurt the ACC's media value.

There was a LOT of pressure from the Carolina Mafia to keep GT in the ACC.
Peterson under estimated......
About gtaa, what a swing and miss.

As Pres of NCAA board of Gov, he under estimated the need to share revenue with players. Massive Settlement is coming soon ......
Great job w turning down Bg1 to stay in acc ..
Since he never acknowledged the gtaa 250,000,000 debt, it didnt exist.
Hired MBob but didn't assure he and cpj worked as a team so cpj had resources.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Or Illinois, rather than Florida State (since we're picking cherries). Yeah, the matchups were generally bigger, as were the distances. And I remember a lot of folks adverse to the idea because of them.
I didn't say the B1G wasn't the better choice, or that such couldn't be seen at the time by prescient souls. I just made the point that the choice wasn't as crystal clear as it seems today.

Last edited: