A few notes from practice

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
These are some notes from the first few days of practice...remember this has been without pads.

* Justin Thomas has shown improvent passing so far...doing a better job of leading the ball to WR's.

* Smelter is the go to guy for both QB's....was told he's took a "significant jump" from last year to now.

* Austin twins have earned good reviews from everyone...Especially Lance. If he keeps it up he will definitely be playing this year.

* Was told the staff has been pleased with Waller in camp...they feel he's matured and really all in with football now.

* Coaches are planning to play at least one Freshman OL...could be two.

* Gary Brown has shown up in great shape for a Freshman OL.

* Staff wants to see more toughness from the OL this year.

* Qua Searcy is a bit of the slender side but he's shown the reason why a lot of people were excited about him.

* Staff loves CJ Leggets work ethic.

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
If CPJ wanted to I believe we truly have the tools to throw the ball 25 or 30 times.....obviously we wont (and I have no problem with that) but if CPJ took a wild hair and decided to do so you have 2 very good recievers in Waller and Smelter and im actually really excited about JT as a passer as well. Maybe he doesnt have the arm strength of Vad but I think his mechanics are better and he throws a good ball JMO. If the OL holds up we could have a very exciting season on O.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Eric what position do you think Lance will get playing time at? He seems like he could be a good 5th DB but I don’t see anyone taking time away from Smith & Noble there.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Lance is a CB... we have Griffin, Milton, White ahead of him right now so we do need depth at that spot.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm hoping for great years from everyone, but would love it if Smelter & Waller showed out enough to get drafted next year. There would be so much ish being eaten by the broader college football community, it would be hilarious.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Any chance Step gets redshirted if Lance beats him out? I know it’s been mentioned before that he has more potential but may not be as day 1 ready as the Austin twins.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
Prior to the start of last season, a reliable source told me that players on the team preferred catching passes from Justin over Vad (something about Justin's release?). Reading Eric's post, I'm cautiously optimistic about this year's passing attack.

Few questions for the board,
  1. What's Smelters ceiling? I thought he played awesome last year. Could he land himself in the 1st round of the NFL draft? I could also see Waller getting drafted in the later rounds. NFL seems to be trending towards big WRs. #WRU
  2. Has merriweather (sp?) done anything noticeable in camp so far? Who do you think has a better chance of playing between him and simmons (sorry if this has already been posted...remember something about simmons in the Whitehead thread but can't seem to find it now.)

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Any chance Step gets redshirted if Lance beats him out? I know it’s been mentioned before that he has more potential but may not be as day 1 ready as the Austin twins.

He could but there's a chance that two Fr play.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
From seeing the pictures of Stickler from fan day he physically looks like he's ready. I know he listed at 265 or so but he looks bigger. How's Whitley looking?