2024 Football Portal

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Looking at 247 sports, we had 32 transfers out and 12 transfers in. They have us at 81 scholarships (assuming everyone they had listed on football scholarship list is actually on scholarship, I know at least a few wrong since outgoing Srs. are listed in a couple of places) and 34 of those are Seniors. That is an incredibly high number of Seniors as pct. of roster. 13 Jrs, 18 sophomores and 16 freshmen. The portal makes it really tough to keep the normal distributions between classes since young men are inpatient to play or get more NIL money elsewhere.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Looking at 247 sports, we had 32 transfers out and 12 transfers in. They have us at 81 scholarships (assuming everyone they had listed on football scholarship list is actually on scholarship, I know at least a few wrong since outgoing Srs. are listed in a couple of places) and 34 of those are Seniors. That is an incredibly high number of Seniors as pct. of roster. 13 Jrs, 18 sophomores and 16 freshmen. The portal makes it really tough to keep the normal distributions between classes since young men are inpatient to play or get more NIL money elsewhere.

From the current Ramblin Wreck Roster there appears to be only 70 +/- schlorships + 4 schlorship portals coming in: Van De Berg, Davis, Height, and Tobe. 81 seems quite high. Based on Spring performance look out for players like Stockton, Elko, and Adams for example to possibly get Schlorships. We still should have quite a few openings.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
I was bored at work and decided to scroll through the on3 transfer portal - according to them we are in the lead for 6'6 262 DL Gharin Stansbury, Arizona St 3* who we offered in 2022; and 6'3 300 DL Anthony Johnson, Illinois 3* with 4 sacks last year (though we didn't make his "top 4" according to another on3 article so who knows how accurate that prediction is).

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Maybe new coaches are doing some shuffling to different positions with our DBs, Khari Gee leaving and new DB from IL. I sometimes get the feeling that they know someone is coming from the portal and they let the kid go before they announce the new guy.

The portal shuts down tomorrow, does that mean everyone is done getting players from the spring portal or can the ones still available in the spring portal keep on seeking a spot?

slugboy

Staff member
Maybe new coaches are doing some shuffling to different positions with our DBs, Khari Gee leaving and new DB from IL. I sometimes get the feeling that they know someone is coming from the portal and they let the kid go before they announce the new guy.

The portal shuts down tomorrow, does that mean everyone is done getting players from the spring portal or can the ones still available in the spring portal keep on seeking a spot?
The portal isn’t the phantom zone—you’re not trapped in it when it “shuts down”.

The dates for fall sports are dates an athlete can put their name in the portal. They can exit the portal at any time—assuming they can get admitted and work towards a degree **

** that’s how it works in 2024. If someone looks at this thread in five years ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The portal isn’t the phantom zone—you’re not trapped in it when it “shuts down”....

You have no actual proof of this.

Snow White and General Zod have been in the portal for years now ...

scared snow white GIF

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
So when you were 18 you had tens of thousands of people hating on you because you couldn’t deliver on their hopes?
Look I’m not trying to out anyone personally but to out this kid for letting his emotions get the best of him, in an insanely pressured environment that NONE of us have experienced (unless there’s a old starting Tech QB in here), after being in a failing system over and over again, is outrageous.

And yes he was paid, would you like to high horse and say you wouldn’t accept payment? Also outrageous.
Just think- is it more logical to talk down on a kid for underperforming, or hate on the staff that paid him, and either couldn’t build around his play style or didn’t have a plan B when the KID couldn’t handle plan A?
Look, I’m not trying to out anyone personally (your words) but your reaction is so off topic I don’t where to start. And to think that the persons here are liking it?

The issue here is the OP aiming to impress on the most of us that we cannot understand what he was going through. That’s what it is. And I object. You, nor the Op has any place to assert Sims’ situation against any of our own circumstances. Period. You get that?

With respect to whatever off-subject rambling you have, I couldn’t care less whatever money you think these kids should receive. But it’s clear to me that you, among others, a part of the problem that so many have stated is the issue of collegiate amateur athletics: which is that you seem to support an unregulated money issued with no accountability.

So, congratulations on being in part of the problem.

And to be clear: in no place anywhere have I disparaged the kid. And I applaud a return to Tech and getting his degree and priorities in order.

Last edited:

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Look, I’m not trying to out anyone personally (your words) but your reaction is so off topic I don’t where to start. And to think that the persons here are liking it?

The issue here is the OP aiming to impress on the most of us that we cannot understand what he was going through. That’s what it is. And I object. You, nor the Op has any place to assert Sims’ situation against any of our own circumstances. Period. You get that?

With respect to whatever off-subject rambling you have, I couldn’t care less whatever money you think these kids should receive. But it’s clear to me that you, among others, a part of the problem that so many have stated is the issue of collegiate amateur athletics: which is that you seem to support an unregulated money issued with no accountability.

So, congratulations on being in part of the problem.

And to be clear: in no place anywhere have I disparaged the kid. And I applaud a return to Tech and getting his degree and priorities in order.
1. A lot of people disparaged him. So I was on topic in my defense of him. And you have pretty much repeated what I said. We cannot compare or put ourselves in his shoes because we don’t know his shoes.

2. Money isn’t an option. It doesn’t matter what you, I or anyone in here thinks.