Spring Game Video Favorites Part Two

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think your midline? option? play was just weird. I don't think it was a midline because the mesh key is typically the tackle who was blocked. The DL was unblocked, so it looked like a triple, and the unblocked corner looked like the pitch key. However, the mesh didn't look real, and the QB went through the normal Bback lane.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
I think your midline? option? play was just weird. I don't think it was a midline because the mesh key is typically the tackle who was blocked. The DL was unblocked, so it looked like a triple, and the unblocked corner looked like the pitch key. However, the mesh didn't look real, and the QB went through the normal Bback lane.

I agree, that looks like a broken play to me. TB made the decision to turn it up and get whatever he could. Turns out he got plenty.

Longestday, thanks for putting these together.

/

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
It looks like the ol is closer to line of scrimmage ( check out navy highlites or low liters against ) than in past? The DL is almost in backfield during the mesh. The guards and tackles are lined up with their shoulders well foward of the centers hips. The center does not have his arms fully extended . This adds up to about a yard closer for DL to guards tackles. There is less distance to accelerate ( guards) into DL and less room at point of attack for Bb .
The tackles have less choice of angles . Also since engaged sooner the blocks must be held longer - and early cut block is ineffective .

Perhaps this is just for spring and to minimize injuries .

Anyone see this difference?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Look at videos of game and my comes on thread "spring game video favorites part two".
I see the ol way to close to line of scrimmage . When ol hits the DL they are barley moving . They hit much sooner than the mesh can occur and leave room for lb to crash the qb.

Look at the video of navy on thread " good option play breakdown " this shows South Carolina doing good on defense) and see the drastic difference in center extended from ball and line men's shoulders on centers hip.

We some times have half the line back but seldom have both sides back. Maybe for spring to lessen injuries.