Griffin, Devine, Burden, O'Reilly

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I spent a little over an hour last night watching a replay of the game on ESPN3. My purpose was to watch these four guys because I had never seen three of them play and, although I have seen some game film on O'Reilly, I have a keen interest in how the C position was shaping up. I wanted to develop an informed opinion, on my own, about the newcomers. I am sorry but I just don't put much stock in a lot of the chatter I hear. Instead, I want see it with my own eyes and then, make my own chatter right here. Take it FWIW. I paid no attention to the ball, but instead just watched these guys in their individual battles each play.

Griffin: I came away very impressed with this kid. Obviously the potential to be very good is there. He is a bit of a different type than OTs we have put out there in the recent past. He is tall with a substantial wingspan. Despite not being overly thick, he is adept at getting leverage and he controls his opponents with his length. He has a motor and a little bit of leg drive too. I am not sure he always took the right guy, but whatever guy he did take, he did a good job in controlling him. He got down field in a hurry on the plays where he was supposed to release. I was surprised by his speed. With him, we are likely to see an improvement in pass pro over Beno. He has the ideal body for it and he moves his feet well and keeps his balance. He had no trouble with Stargell at all. I thought he executed his cut blocks fairly well although it didn't look as natural to him as the stand up game did.

Devine: This kid is a beast and it is hard for me to imagine we could bring in a better one into the program. Please do not fret over his current standing in the depth chart. Perhaps the cold and wet evening helped to cool him and improve his stamina. In any case, when not tired, Devine was simply too much for any kid put in front of him. We have all seen Kitchen and Gamble on film last year. They were far from dominant against our competition, but they were competitive. Well, Devine did whatever he wanted with both of those guys and he made it look easy. It was almost like watching a scene from "Blind Side" at times. Devine gives you the impression he is soft and slow, but in a very small ring he is extremely effective because he keeps his feet moving and he uses his size and long arms extremely well. He can come off the ball and engage a defender with a lot of force and he is surprisingly adept at getting angles on them. He got bull rushed and slammed into a couple times by a blitzer who knocked him back. However, Devine just kept his arms on his man, used his feet, and maintained his balance and control over his opponent. They got nowhere after the initial three foot surge. Out in space, he suffers. He is not nearly as effective running in the open field looking for somebody. In fact, it looked pitiful sometimes. However, in his small ring on the interior, he is the best I have seen and he only has the potential to get better. While he is able to bend a little, the cut blocking aspect looks less natural to him. He needs a little work there. Some people think he is too heavy. I don't really think so, at least not in terms of being able to control his weight and use it to his benefit. IMHO, if if if, he can gain some kind of stamina at the current weight, either thru improved diet or exercise/weight training or both, he can easily keep his weight. It is one of his great strengths. The NIKE camp film was no fluke. He will upgrade both the drive blocking and pass pro at his position. He has NFL written all over him. Strong words I know, but I am sticking with it. Call me crazy if you want, but 3 or 4 years from now.....

Burden: I thought he played well. The first thing that struck me was his foot speed. He is really really fast for a center. I had no idea he was so fast. If I had to guess, I would say he is easily under 5 in the 40, maybe as low as 4.8s. He would get the ball snapped, whether successfully or not, and shoot out of there like I cannon ball. He doesn't strike me as being quite as strong as Finch or as polished with footwork, but he is athletic and quick. I like him. He can play. There won't be much of a let down so long as the exchange thing gets taken care of.

O'Reilly: He played well too. Of the two centers he is the more physical, but he is slower. He cut several people to the ground at the second level and seems to have a little more fire this year. While he and Burden are very different players, I would feel comfortable with either. O'Reilly is a big kid. The potential for a huge G-C-G exists with Devine, he, and Mason.

After having done this exercise I am optimistic about where we are headed as a group. As every year, we will be different. The very strong potential for improved pass protection is palpable, as is the potential for springing the dive. I didn't watch Chamberlain much. I know I have been very hard on that kid in the past. Hopefully he played well despite the false start. If that position gets solidified we may be far better up front than many are anticipating.

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
Good post. Although I do believe we will be more talented on paper, I haven't seen anything drastically different from last year as far as the offense being under the gun. The defenses of other teams can give us all that we can handle on B gap jumps. I feel like we are still being startled and not improving when defenses kill our QB-Center exchange on the snap.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I only watched Devine and you pretty much saw what I saw. I have far less technical knowledge as you though, I just trust my eyes. Devine is a BEAST.

I also want the O'Reilly, Mason, Devine as the G-C-G if not put Devine at LT and move Chris to RT. Can we please have a big, nasty, physical line please. It's one of the flaws in the offense that needed to be adjusted and I hope the adjustment can now be made.

I know Boomer is a glass half full kinda guy but thanks @Boomergump for giving me hope.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
Great write up Boomer! Really excited about the guys you mentioned. Losing Burden last season was a huge loss in my opinion.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Good post. Although I do believe we will be more talented on paper, I haven't seen anything drastically different from last year as far as the offense being under the gun. The defenses of other teams can give us all that we can handle on B gap jumps. I feel like we are still being startled and not improving when defenses kill our QB-Center exchange on the snap.
It was funny. Plays kept getting blown up, but it wasn't because of the guys I was watching. Maybe they took the wrong guys or something, but the guys they decided to engage didn't get anything done. It is a schematic issue more than anything IMHO. I will learn more when I watch the defense more closely. My goal for last night was simply to scout a couple players and not to dissect schematic issues. I really appreciate Roof dialing up the pressure and bringing the type of defense that has given us trouble. We need to see that more until we fix it. By doing so, hopefully it will generate ideas. I would point out though, that if you eliminate the ball security issues (especially on the exchange), the offense moved the ball pretty well. The run blitzes were a nuisance, but they were not debilitating. Ball handling was the biggest issue.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I only watched Devine and you pretty much saw what I saw. I have far less technical knowledge as you though, I just trust my eyes. Devine is a BEAST.

I also want the O'Reilly, Mason, Devine as the G-C-G if not put Devine at LT and move Chris to RT. Can we please have a big, nasty, physical line please. It's one of the flaws in the offense that needed to be adjusted and I hope the adjustment can now be made.

I know Boomer is a glass half full kinda guy but thanks @Boomergump for giving me hope.
I think putting Devine at OT in this offense would be a gross mistake, sorry. He is far weaker in space than he is in the trash and our OTs spend more time out there. If we had a pass happy offense, I would agree. He is a natural at pass protection. My top priority for this offense would be to establish the dive by pure force if possible. Once that is done, everything else will open up. We have not ever really been able to impose our will on teams physically in the middle. It has always been about, quick hitting, deceptive plays while getting kids hands down with low blocks. If we can line it up and pound it, in the context of the option, and force defenses to react with a true respect for our physical ability from A gap to A gap, then we have it won. Devine can help us do that.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I think putting Devine at OT in this offense would be a gross mistake, sorry. He is far weaker in space than he is in the trash and our OTs spend more time out there. If we had a pass happy offense, I would agree. He is a natural at pass protection. My top priority for this offense would be to establish the dive by pure force if possible. Once that is done, everything else will open up. We have not ever really been able to impose our will on teams physically in the middle. It has always been about, quick hitting, deceptive plays while getting kids hands down with low blocks. If we can line it up and pound it, in the context of the option, and force defenses to react with a true respect for our physical ability from A gap to A gap, then we have it won. Devine can help us do that.

Yep, nothing more needed to be said.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Chris was easily the most impressive player on the line. I think they got the starters right on the line. I was still a little worried about the line as a whole but I think that's the best group. The right side of the line looked like the weakest. Mason is solid but I don't think he has a very high ceiling. Chamberlain looked about the same.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Last season Chamberlain seemed to hardly lay a hand on someone. Spring game had him actually getting in the way. He got beat a lot, but he got in the way. He even made contact on some of the diving/blitzing LB.

Don't get me wrong here....

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Chris was easily the most impressive player on the line. I think they got the starters right on the line. I was still a little worried about the line as a whole but I think that's the best group. The right side of the line looked like the weakest. Mason is solid but I don't think he has a very high ceiling. Chamberlain looked about the same.

Please tell me you forgot about Mason being All ACC last year...............smh

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Chase Roberts & Chamberlain are interchangeable to me, Roberts is an upgrade but not really. Jake Whitely is a coming this summer as a freshman but honestly that's it. The other option is moving Burden to right tackle with his athleticism and imo since he is not a significantly better than O'Reilly maybe the best option.

I still like Devine moving to tackle but with our one dimensional offense I guess it's best to leave him at guard.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Chase Roberts & Chamberlain are interchangeable to me, Roberts is an upgrade but not really. Jake Whitely is a coming this summer as a freshman but honestly that's it. The other option is moving Burden to right tackle with his athleticism and imo since he is not a significantly better than O'Reilly maybe the best option.

I still like Devine moving to tackle but with our one dimensional offense I guess it's best to leave him at guard.
like others I don't think Devine can play OT now, as I watched him,anytime the play required him to "search" for who to block,he just wandered and made no contact

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Two questions:

1. What is our answer to the B-gap jump/run blitz?

1- you saw the offense adjust to the pressure and score some points.

There were some good fast decisions by TB, including some good "gives" to the B. We saw effective Midline! We saw a slant!! The slant went to the spot that Nealy vacated (to blitz). I saw some very effective "quick pitches" to the motion A back that would have absolutely resulted in a sack last year. (It's probably worth a whole thread on the quick pitch).

I also saw us change the snap count several times with false tempo (A back motion and stop, then reset). Once, I think I saw TB hard count and get the entire defense to stutter-step...

We didn't see any of that against VT last year.

I will watch it again (haven't yet) but watching it live I feel like there was some progress.

/