Spring Game Slo-mo

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I recorded the ESPNU version and watched it over a couple times with the action slowed down. Obviously there has already been a lot said about the game. I don't want to repeat a bunch of stuff, but rather shed a little light on some new details I picked up.

On Byerly, I was really impressed in how his eyes always seemed to be in the right place, even on pass plays. There were numerous close ups of differing angles during the action. When dropping back to throw I noticed his eyes trying to locate the safety FIRST before his receiver. I appreciate that he is making the attempt to throw where the defense isn't, first and foremost. This translates well to success. He wasn't locking on to the receiver. Also, while running option plays, he had his eyes on his keys while handling the ball. He never seemed rushed when making the reads, even in wet sloppy traffic.

Keshun Freeman is a tough guy to keep blocked. When he matures physically, I really think we have something in him.

I am more worried about the DL than I am the OL. I know the common perception right now is the opposite given the results on the field, but you have to look at what the defense was doing. At the snap, more times than not, there were 8 guys within 2 yards of the LOS coming hard. When you watch the individual battles, the OL was winning the most of them. Surely assignments awareness and handling the blitz can be improved. It was pretty confusing out there and I appreciate CTR bringing the heat, but you have to understand we are not going to be able to line up like that against other offenses. If it weren't for the fumbled snaps etc, I think the offense would have had a pretty productive day.

I thought Green looked pretty good on the DL as did Gotsis. We have some questions to be answered on the ends though. As of right now I am not feeling it.

Marcordes has matured a lot. He looks good out there. He is long and he can run. I think the game has slowed down for him too.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I recorded the ESPNU version and watched it over a couple times with the action slowed down. Obviously there has already been a lot said about the game. I don't want to repeat a bunch of stuff, but rather shed a little light on some new details I picked up.

On Byerly, I was really impressed in how his eyes always seemed to be in the right place, even on pass plays. There were numerous close ups of differing angles during the action. When dropping back to throw I noticed his eyes trying to locate the safety FIRST before his receiver. I appreciate that he is making the attempt to throw where the defense isn't, first and foremost. This translates well to success. He wasn't locking on to the receiver. Also, while running option plays, he had his eyes on his keys while handling the ball. He never seemed rushed when making the reads, even in wet sloppy traffic.

Keshun Freeman is a tough guy to keep blocked. When he matures physically, I really think we have something in him.

I am more worried about the DL than I am the OL. I know the common perception right now is the opposite given the results on the field, but you have to look at what the defense was doing. At the snap, more times than not, there were 8 guys within 2 yards of the LOS coming hard. When you watch the individual battles, the OL was winning the most of them. Surely assignments awareness and handling the blitz can be improved. It was pretty confusing out there and I appreciate CTR bringing the heat, but you have to understand we are not going to be able to line up like that against other offenses. If it weren't for the fumbled snaps etc, I think the offense would have had a pretty productive day.

I thought Green looked pretty good on the DL as did Gotsis. We have some questions to be answered on the ends though. As of right now I am not feeling it.

Marcordes has matured a lot. He looks good out there. He is long and he can run. I think the game has slowed down for him too.
What did you think of Stargel's play?

Your comments on Byerly hint that he might be the recipient of good quarterback coaching. Do you feel that he is maybe more coachable than Thomas, or that he has just an innate knack for what he is trying to do? In my opinion CPJ's system works better with a good mechanic at qb over a gifted athlete. Our qb, in this system, must be able to analyze what he is up against as the play is progressing. Vad seemed to frequently "give up" on the play almost immediately if the first read wasn't there. Do you think Byerly is better at the "if this, then this" decision making?

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
Byerly has a special awareness that is not teachable. There are 22 guys on the field when the ball is snapped and you just get the sense that Byerly has a pretty good idea of what the other 21 are up to.

I observed during the game - and no one would confuse my football acumen with Boomer/33/Jerry/etc. but it was just blatantly obvious that TB understood what was taking place on the field during every snap. I didn't see any hesitation, happy feet, head-on-a-swivel, running for his life, throwing into coverage - he reminded me [dare I say this] a little bit of George Godsey. I'm not comparing them at all but Godsey just knew what to do - instinctively. Byerly demonstrates that he has some of that - not sure how much but definitely more than I've seen from a Tech QB in quite a while.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
Good stuff. Thanks Boomer. I kind of agree with you about the DL. That's been my concern ever since 2009. I'm encouraged about the reports with Shawn Green. But will there be a huge dropoff after Gotsis and Green?

With no Attaochu this year, we have no one that's proven they can get to the QB. Hopefully JHD can turn into that or Whitehead. As boomer's said before, our talent in the back 7 won't matter if our DL can't win battles up front and get pressure on the QB.

Byerly has a special awareness that is not teachable. There are 22 guys on the field when the ball is snapped and you just get the sense that Byerly has a pretty good idea of what the other 21 are up to.

I observed during the game - and no one would confuse my football acumen with Boomer/33/Jerry/etc. but it was just blatantly obvious that TB understood what was taking place on the field during every snap. I didn't see any hesitation, happy feet, head-on-a-swivel, running for his life, throwing into coverage - he reminded me [dare I say this] a little bit of George Godsey. I'm not comparing them at all but Godsey just knew what to do - instinctively. Byerly demonstrates that he has some of that - not sure how much but definitely more than I've seen from a Tech QB in quite a while.
Maybe Byerly plays quarterback, but we get Justin on the field as an A-back now and then. I'd love to spring something like that on Bud Foster in Blacksburg.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What did you think of Stargel's play?
Well, I didn't mention him because I was running out of time, I had to be somewhere. The truth is I think the kid is working hard, but at this point I don't think he will be the answer for 2014. Chaz Cheeks had a tough go of it too. Some people have given positive feedback about Jabari, but I am not yet convinced with him either.

Chamberlain actually had some positive moments at LT. I have been really hard on him in the past. However, there were still some let downs and a general lack of consistency. He continues to concern me with lateral quickness and staying in a position of leverage in pass protection. For me it remains a major concern.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Your comments on Byerly hint that he might be the recipient of good quarterback coaching. Do you feel that he is maybe more coachable than Thomas, or that he has just an innate knack for what he is trying to do? In my opinion CPJ's system works better with a good mechanic at qb over a gifted athlete. Our qb, in this system, must be able to analyze what he is up against as the play is progressing. Vad seemed to frequently "give up" on the play almost immediately if the first read wasn't there. Do you think Byerly is better at the "if this, then this" decision making?
I have no idea if he is more coachable than Thomas. I think Thomas did a pretty good job of seeing the field last year, especially in the spring game, although I didn't have the luxury of a DVR recording back then. I think Byerly is running things pretty well, especially considering the amount of duress he was under with a wet ball and 8 guys with their ears pinned back. It is hard for me to comment on where JT is because I haven't seen him play since fall. I don't even want to speculate. Like everybody, I am sure he is a work in progress. Just in general, I think it is way premature to speculate on where the QB battle is, especially considering JT didn't play. What we can do, however, is characterize TB's play on that day, and I would say it was quite good, minus the ball handling issues.

Speaking of ball handling issues, did anybody get a good look at the football? With HD on a big screen it was a lot easier to see. That thing was usually very dark and shiny. Do you know what that means? Yup, waterlogged as &%#$. Those were not game conditions out there. I am not sure why we didn't do more to make it so. Surely we have footballs in inventory, and enough so to rotate and keep balls dry as possible. I don't see what was to be gained by using balls in such condition. Maybe to emphasize ball security in extreme conditions?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I like the idea of Opposing Def Coord's having to game plan and prepare for facing both types of quarterbacks, and then giving them a lethal dose of whichever works the best against said D

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
Speaking of ball handling issues, did anybody get a good look at the football? With HD on a big screen it was a lot easier to see. That thing was usually very dark and shiny. Do you know what that means? Yup, waterlogged as &%#$. Those were not game conditions out there. I am not sure why we didn't do more to make it so. Surely we have footballs in inventory, and enough so to rotate and keep balls dry as possible. I don't see what was to be gained by using balls in such condition. Maybe to emphasize ball security in extreme conditions?

CPJ said the refs weren't rotating the balls as often as normal. Maybe CPJ should have requested to them to do so. I wonder if he decided that since the conditions were so bad that rotating the ball more frequently would be like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I have no idea if he is more coachable than Thomas. I think Thomas did a pretty good job of seeing the field last year, especially in the spring game, although I didn't have the luxury of a DVR recording back then. I think Byerly is running things pretty well, especially considering the amount of duress he was under with a wet ball and 8 guys with their ears pinned back. It is hard for me to comment on where JT is because I haven't seen him play since fall. I don't even want to speculate. Like everybody, I am sure he is a work in progress. Just in general, I think it is way premature to speculate on where the QB battle is, especially considering JT didn't play. What we can do, however, is characterize TB's play on that day, and I would say it was quite good, minus the ball handling issues.

I've seen practices with a wet, slick football to emphasize proper fundamentals.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer

Much is said regarding the relative athletic abilities of the quarterbacks but the best quaterbacks are also great decision makers, especially when under pressure. Vad seemed to struggle when pressed and it appears to me that TB may be very strong in that area. If that is true, he will be a great help as starter or sub.