Byerly

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I was never fully on the Vad train, but I was excited about his potential. The thing that held me back was that he seemed to make decisions based on relationships and guesses. Vad is a great athlete, I was just not completely sold on his on-field IQ.

JT is fast and can cut quicker than anyone else on the team. I think he showed a higher degree of reading the 3TO than Vad and a higher field IQ. He has such a quick mesh from BB to down the line that keeps the D guessing who has the ball. His size limits the mid line and 4th and inches to some degree.

Byerly showed he had the foot work and an eye for the field. His meshes were well timed and he seemed to barrel down the field. His competition was always 2nd or 3rd string so I never knew what was him and what was the D giving to him.

The spring game showed what Byerly really can accomplish. All you Josh Nesbitt fans should be wanting Tim. You want the yard from shear will? You want Tim. You want the guy willing to take the ball away from the other guy? You want Tim. You want someone that can carry a pile 5 yards? You want Tim.

Tim is the Godhigh of the QB. Everyone is overlooking him because of his walk on status. He is a baller.

All but 2 of his passes hit someone in the hands and those passes were very much receivable.

Some are knit picking his quick pitches. I would rather a quick pitch than no pitch. Also if you watch our defense is forcing the quick pitch by blitzing. They knew if they could pressure Vad he would freeze and they could sack him. Byerly is ready and gets the ball out quick. Don't complain that he is not going down the line as there is a defender in his face.

Byerly may not be perfect, but he moved the offense down the field, in the rain, against a defense that knew what was going to happen. He will soon be at the Washington option level and I think he will surpass Washington's ability to read. He is better at passing than Josh, Washington, and maybe JT. He is a hard runner of the Nesbit fashion. He is not as quick as JT.

We don't have a QB that can carry the whole team. We do have a QB that can carry half of the defense.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I like Byerly, especially running the mid-line. I was so happy to see the return of that play yesterday. It was good to see him for more than a series. He brings a good bit to the table. The field was sloppy and slow and the ball was water-logged. You can't draw too many conclusions about ball security in practice conditions with heavy rains. Byerly lacks the electricity of a break away runner from what I gleaned last night. However, he is a tough kid who thrives in the trash. We could do a heck of a lot worse. I will reserve judgement about his passing until I see him in better conditions. He will move the chains and he will make reads. He barely had time on a few plays to get the ball pulled from the BB before he had to get the pitch out, due to the blitz, but he handled it very well. There was a lot of defensive pressure last night. I thought he did well considering. I would feel confident if he needed to play next fall.

Declinometer

Banned
I was never fully on the Vad train, but I was excited about his potential. The thing that held me back was that he seemed to make decisions based on relationships and guesses. Vad is a great athlete, I was just not completely sold on his on-field IQ.

JT is fast and can cut quicker than anyone else on the team. I think he showed a higher degree of reading the 3TO than Vad and a higher field IQ. He has such a quick mesh from BB to down the line that keeps the D guessing who has the ball. His size limits the mid line and 4th and inches to some degree.

Byerly showed he had the foot work and an eye for the field. His meshes were well timed and he seemed to barrel down the field. His competition was always 2nd or 3rd string so I never knew what was him and what was the D giving to him.

The spring game showed what Byerly really can accomplish. All you Josh Nesbitt fans should be wanting Tim. You want the yard from shear will? You want Tim. You want the guy willing to take the ball away from the other guy? You want Tim. You want someone that can carry a pile 5 yards? You want Tim.

Tim is the Godhigh of the QB. Everyone is overlooking him because of his walk on status. He is a baller.

All but 2 of his passes hit someone in the hands and those passes were very much receivable.

Some are knit picking his quick pitches. I would rather a quick pitch than no pitch. Also if you watch our defense is forcing the quick pitch by blitzing. They knew if they could pressure Vad he would freeze and they could sack him. Byerly is ready and gets the ball out quick. Don't complain that he is not going down the line as there is a defender in his face.

Byerly may not be perfect, but he moved the offense down the field, in the rain, against a defense that knew what was going to happen. He will soon be at the Washington option level and I think he will surpass Washington's ability to read. He is better at passing than Josh, Washington, and maybe JT. He is a hard runner of the Nesbit fashion. He is not as quick as JT.

We don't have a QB that can carry the whole team. We do have a QB that can carry half of the defense.
Fair assessments.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Like I said elsewhere, he had 101 yards rushing last night. Net. Did anybody think it was that much who watched him? Probably not.

He just isn't that exciting. He gets the job done, but no opponent is going to think he beat them single handed. Until they read the stats, that is.

I don't know if he'll win the job or not. Thomas gives us a higher ceiling, no doubt. But, if Tim wins out, we'll do about as well. And everybody will complain about it.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I want however gives us the best chance to win to start. If that ends up being a combination of Tim/Justin that's fine, but I would like to see a 10 win + season.
I really would like to see more Griffin, he had the was the best combination of the the 2 projected starters, and from what I understand has the strongest arm. Get him going, simplify the offense and tailor it to his strengths and let him loose. Do an Auburn but that's not happening.

rbr

Georgia Tech Fan
does anyone know if ESPN3 will replay any of the game or do they allow you to go online and watch?

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
You can't live off the midline. It's a complement play to the Veer. I worry about Byerly being able to get out on the edge running the Veer. If he can't, the midline will not be nearly as effective vs decent defenses.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
I was very impressed with Byerly at the spring game. I think that he has the ability to keep the offense moving forward which is what we need the most.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
He impressed me in both spring sessions.
He has at least Nesbitt as a junior speed. Not quite as fast as Nez during 2008. Not as strong as Nesbitt, but a tough runner. I think he will help us.
We may have a Connette type situation, where he comes in inside the red zone. It was nice to see heavy midline last night. I don't think JT is fragile, but it wouldn't hurt to give him a breather if he gets whacked, and the midline probably won't be as effective for JT.
I don't think we have a controversy, I think we have a real competition. People shouldn't be surprised if either one wins or we platoon.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
JT will be the starter and be successful. It's nice to know we have TB because he will be needed. Wouldn't surprise me if JT misses a game or two and TB leads us to wins like with Nesbitt and Shaw.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck

1. Agree on byerly. I want to see him play vs. 1 st team though...
  2. I think I'd rather see a warrior at QB than a fast one

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
+1
Can JT do the same taking a series of hits? I hope so, good thing he has illusive speed.

JT will lose his speed after a series of hits. The muscles just aren't as fluid.

I really don't care who starts, I still (like the last 3 years) want to see our two best QBs early on and let the best one that day play more.

JN is easily my favorite recent GT QB. So I like the Byerly style. BUt I have to see him pass more because I didn't think the throws had much zip and would be picked off in a game.

We have a good QB situation where we may have 4 serviceable QBs who are only limited by the amount of practice and game time they get. (All the more reason to play more than one!! OUr QBs will get nicked up a lot.)