Braves Regular Season

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Just checked and Minter has 3 blown saves before May 15. That rate would mean 12 in one season. Shades of Luke Jackson.

Oof, did you just say ... Luke Jackson?

Ryan Reynolds Want GIF

That post shld come with a trigger warning, sir.

You're not wrong tho. We shld never see Minter trying to save anything but a few bucks at the grocery store.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Just checked and Minter has 3 blown saves before May 15. That rate would mean 12 in one season. Shades of Luke Jackson.
If Snit was just determined to throw a lefty, why not go Bummer? He hasn't been terrible this year and the past few times out he has thrown pretty quality stuff. Or even trot out Dylan Lee if you think he's got the stuff. Point is, we have too much depth and too many quality arms to keep making this same stupid decision.

Also, I forget who the Met pitcher was, but that pickoff move to nail Acuna was absolutely nasty. It was so fast my first instinct was balk, but it was clean.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If Snit was just determined to throw a lefty, why not go Bummer? He hasn't been terrible this year and the past few times out he has thrown pretty quality stuff. Or even trot out Dylan Lee if you think he's got the stuff. Point is, we have too much depth and too many quality arms to keep making this same stupid decision.

Also, I forget who the Met pitcher was, but that pickoff move to nail Acuna was absolutely nasty. It was so fast my first instinct was balk, but it was clean.

Bummer pitched earlier in the game, iirc, but either way I totally agree with your overall point.

We've seen it. The Minter closer experience. No need to keep at it. It's like they're trying to find a cheap alternative to replace Iglesias. Sorry, you're gonna have to pony up and find a real replacement, AA.

On Acuna, you're right but with his plate struggles he's gotta stop compounding it by getting picked off so much. Having it happen twice in a game is unacceptable no matter how good the pickoff move was. Every team knows he wants to steal and have adjusted accordingly. It's time for him to adjust to the adjustment.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Bummer pitched earlier in the game, iirc, but either way I totally agree with your overall point.

We've seen it. The Minter closer experience. No need to keep at it. It's like they're trying to find a cheap alternative to replace Iglesias. Sorry, you're gonna have to pony up and find a real replacement, AA.

On Acuna, you're right but with his plate struggles he's gotta stop compounding it by getting picked off so much. Having it happen twice in a game is unacceptable no matter how good the pickoff move was. Every team knows he wants to steal and have adjusted accordingly. It's time for him to adjust to the adjustment.
Yeah, you're right about Bummer having already pitched. I just looked and he even put Dylan Lee out there too so Snit must have known about the Mets struggling against lefties. I'm interested in seeing how Ray Kerr does as another lefty option.

I agree about Acuna. I think he wants to make an impact so badly that he jumps at the first chance he gets. He is super talented, but like many younger players, I'm not sure how much he analyzes the game. Not really knocking him, but young guys tend to let their talent do the talking and the older guys study the game in order to maximize what talent they have left to impact the game. Opposing teams have figured out two things about him that they are exploiting: He struggles with high fastballs, and he is too jumpy on the basepaths. Getting into scoring position is great, but not at the expense of getting yourself out. Sometimes it's better to trust your teammates and go from first to third on a single than to get yourself picked off without giving anybody a chance to advance you. Again, I love Acuna and think he has talent out of this world, but you also gotta be smart about using your talent too.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yeah, you're right about Bummer having already pitched. I just looked and he even put Dylan Lee out there too so Snit must have known about the Mets struggling against lefties. I'm interested in seeing how Ray Kerr does as another lefty option.

I agree about Acuna. I think he wants to make an impact so badly that he jumps at the first chance he gets. He is super talented, but like many younger players, I'm not sure how much he analyzes the game. Not really knocking him, but young guys tend to let their talent do the talking and the older guys study the game in order to maximize what talent they have left to impact the game. Opposing teams have figured out two things about him that they are exploiting: He struggles with high fastballs, and he is too jumpy on the basepaths. Getting into scoring position is great, but not at the expense of getting yourself out. Sometimes it's better to trust your teammates and go from first to third on a single than to get yourself picked off without giving anybody a chance to advance you. Again, I love Acuna and think he has talent out of this world, but you also gotta be smart about using your talent too.

Wish I could 'like' this twice. What PHI showed us in the playoffs was that not only Acuna but many other Braves have trouble with high heat. I think that's why they're collectively struggling this year. Other than Ozuna, which leads me to my next question/point.

Nobody likes the idea of Ozuna still being there based on the arrests. But he's carrying them rn. It was said last year that he's very influential in the clubhouse. Wonder if he can help them unlock Acuna, mentally, as you mention.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Do you keep AJ after the season? Despite the frustrations, I feel like that's a tough one.
Obviously depends on price tag. I would definitely try. He's 30 years old, so I expect he will be able to get a 3 year deal minimum on the open market. Going price for top-of-the line setup men seems to be in the $10M AAV range. I'm gonna guess that he will be able to get a 3 yr/$30M offer in free agency. If I were in charge I would be willing to pay that, but the Braves already have a VERY expensive bullpen and that would add to it. Only Aaron Bummer is coming off the books next season, and that is only if they decline the team option and pay him $1.25M to walk.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
Do yall think Minter been as good as Jimenez? I'd like to keep both but, if I had to choose, I'd choose Jim. Wondering what yall think on that.
There's definitely enough budget to keep both, but Jimenez has been more consistent than Minter. Of course, Jimenez doesn't have Snit trying to put him in a position where he has proven to fail either

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I think they’ll keep both if they can. AJ is a proven quality setup guy. Jimenez has been good as well, just not as long with the Braves as Minter. In a push I think they keep Minter, but I’m not sure it comes to that.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Do yall think Minter been as good as Jimenez? I'd like to keep both but, if I had to choose, I'd choose Jim. Wondering what yall think on that.
This year Jimenez has been better, but that is over a sample size of only 40 games. I like both, but I expect Minter will have had the better season when we draw the curtain in October. As far as "keeping both", Jimenez is signed through 2026, so he isn't going anywhere. Minter is a free agent at the end of this season, so the Braves will have competition for him. I'm pretty sure Minter will get a contract larger than Jimenez's 3 yr/$26M.