2024 Season

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I have finished my primer on the conference tourneys. It is a 3 page Word doc, so I have to figure out how I can post it, or even if I can. Can I upload a file to this site?

Until I figure that part out, the summary is as follows:

Root for (or against):
East Carolina in AAC tournament
Indiana St in Missouri Valley tournament
San Diego over Portland in West Coast tournament
Lamar in Southland tournament
UConn over Xavier in Big East tournament
Northeastern over Charleston or UNC-Wilmington in Coastal Athletic
Nebraska and Illinois over Indiana and Ohio St in Big Ten
Dallas Baptist or Louisiana Tech in Conference USA
Southern Miss and Louisiana over Coastal Carolina, James Madison, or Troy in Sun Belt
Oregon St, Arizona, and Oregon over Cal in PAC12
Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, West Virginia and Kansas over TCU and Kansas St in Big 12
Mississippi St over Ole Miss in SEC 1st round
UGA (yuk) over LSU in SEC 1st round
Root strongly against Louisville in ACC pods.
This is a great breakdown.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
If you're into squeezing as much juice out of the RPI thing as possible... today we all need to root for Cornell to prevail in the Ivy League tournament. If I understand correctly, they are 2-0 in the Ivy's double elimination tournament and need to win beat Penn (once) today to be the champs and get the league's automatic bid to the big tournament. A mild upset as Columbia (already eliminated) was the #1 seed / regular season top dog.

BTW.. not a stolen bid. Ivy league will not get another bid beside the champ.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Was this discussed earlier this year and I completely missed it?

The selection committee (process) was tweaked for this season. Very minor stuff and Cahill's bottom line is it won't make much difference. However, he is speaking generally about a 64 team field. I am pretty convinced that the tweaks as applied to Ga Tech will only help Ga Tech's chances.

Things that hit me reading the article that most directly affect GT this year:
1) Introducing KPI as 'info' for the committee. Currently, Ga Tech is #33 in the KPI. The BA article (linked) touches on differences with RPI... the most significant is a game's score is factored in somehow. My assumption is P5 teams will get a bump with KPI and mid-majors will suffer slightly (compared to RPI).
2) Tweaks to the Regional Advisory Committee's roles may help Ga Tech's case. Hopefully, the ACC guy has the memo on John Geisler's absence v UGA and BC.

BTW... listening to D1 Baseball podcast today on the field of 64 entering conference tournaments... Aaron Fitt says Ga Tech is IN. The other 2 guys didn't protest or say much. I didn't listen to the entire pod. Paraphrasing Fitt... managing to get 1 win at FSU this weekend puts GT in. I interpreted that to mean they don't have to really do anything this week to change that. Obviously, Fitt isn't part of the committee and he has a history of being a Ga Tech apologist... although, I think that's overstated in recent years. Of note, they had 8 ACC teams in with Louisville on the wrong side of the bubble.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/sto...election-process-but-will-it-change-anything/

KPI link
https://faktorsports.com/

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Was this discussed earlier this year and I completely missed it?

The selection committee (process) was tweaked for this season. Very minor stuff and Cahill's bottom line is it won't make much difference. However, he is speaking generally about a 64 team field. I am pretty convinced that the tweaks as applied to Ga Tech will only help Ga Tech's chances.

Things that hit me reading the article that most directly affect GT this year:
1) Introducing KPI as 'info' for the committee. Currently, Ga Tech is #33 in the KPI. The BA article (linked) touches on differences with RPI... the most significant is a game's score is factored in somehow. My assumption is P5 teams will get a bump with KPI and mid-majors will suffer slightly (compared to RPI).
2) Tweaks to the Regional Advisory Committee's roles may help Ga Tech's case. Hopefully, the ACC guy has the memo on John Geisler's absence v UGA and BC.

BTW... listening to D1 Baseball podcast today on the field of 64 entering conference tournaments... Aaron Fitt says Ga Tech is IN. The other 2 guys didn't protest or say much. I didn't listen to the entire pod. Paraphrasing Fitt... managing to get 1 win at FSU this weekend puts GT in. I interpreted that to mean they don't have to really do anything this week to change that. Obviously, Fitt isn't part of the committee and he has a history of being a Ga Tech apologist... although, I think that's overstated in recent years. Of note, they had 8 ACC teams in with Louisville on the wrong side of the bubble.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/sto...election-process-but-will-it-change-anything/

KPI link
https://faktorsports.com/
#2 we have discussed. It's one of the reasons I haven't stressed too much about the committee knowing about improvement we've seen with Giesler is the lineup. I am quite confident that will be duly noted by them.

#1 we haven't (at least not to my knowledge), but I have heard it mentioned a few times when watching/listening to games. I know next to nothing about it except that it is supposed to be able to tell the committee how different teams would do if they had identical schedules. Sounds like an awesome tool if accurate, but I would be cynical as to its accuracy, especially in the beginning.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I listened as well, and had the impression there was an implied "if"....as if if we win at least one game in the ACC Tourney.

The biggest issue for a team like us is how many bids get stolen by lower rated teams who win their conference tournament. The D1 guys tend to assume most of those go scratch and not many surprises there. We could get hurt if we go 0-2 and there are more surprises than expected.